Used 2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Not so happy
By posimpala

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a used fleet car. It was well taken care of before I got it from my step-mom whose company sold it to me for a great deal. Well, it was good until I hit 125000 miles and then the engine started to fall apart. The heads have come off the rocker arms several times, the guy who fixes my car says he has never seen it but it seems like they were made from real cheap material. Also, the cheap plastic body parts don't hold up well when it is cold as I had a door handle crack off on the rear passenger side one very cold morning. Other than those issues, the car is good.

Favorite Features

Spacious interior. I'm 6'6'' and fit nicely in the car. Comfort is good too

Suggested Improvements

Make parts stronger

Has been a really great car.
By R.G.

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car since new and has been very reliable. Gas mileage great for its size.

Favorite Features

Big comfortable seating. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

A litte more power.

Reliable car
By phil

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has never had anything go bad. It is the most reliable car I ever owned. At over 77000 miles it preforms like new. It is fully loaded and all accessories preform perfectly.

Favorite Features

Overhead gauge with compass, fuel economy, and garage door opener. Seat heaters for those cold winter days. Large trunk with fold down rear seats.

Excellent fuel economy, value
By newb

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with 60,000 miles over a month ago. Agree with previous reviewers about head gasket problems. Car has excellent fuel economy for its size - I average 25 mpg in the city, but then I try not to hit the gas too hard. Very spacious but outdated interior design. Good insurance rates compared to similar models. Yet to find out handling in snow with winter tires. Engine noise is pronounced, not as quiet as Taurus but not too bad either. Car feels stable and safe, in fact has very good safity ratings. Steering a bit funny though. Definitely excellent used-car buy even with today's gas prices - highly recommend if OK'd by the mechanic you know well.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency, exterior design, interior space, factory stereo, exceptional value if used

Suggested Improvements

Steering, head gasket, engine noise

Won't Buy Another Chevy
By PhilNTexas

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 2003 new, previously owned a new 2000. The 2000 my below average, but the 2003 is a really crummy car. 21mpg, too low, Horrendous road noise that the dealer couldn't fix. can't keep tires on it, 2 sets in 55k. No torque in drive without hitting passing gear. I had the extended warr, but have had constant problems, motor mounts caused the engine to strike the firewall, rotors were out of balance, replaced myself, check engine light problem, the dealer kept it 2 days, and finally said a squirrel had chewed a wire. If you believe that I have a bridge I want to sell you. Last problem was traction light came on, and dealer wanted $1200 to fix, but finally after many meeting, fixed it.

Favorite Features

The V6, is pretty good in acceleration, except it has no torque, in drive without downshifting.

Suggested Improvements

Send their design and manufacturing team to school at Toyota or BMW. This is a dog of a car. I have owned my last Chevy.