Used 2003 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Consider Something Else
By Bill

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The car hasn't been terribly unreliable, but the front brakes and rotors wear very quickly. Also, the transmission started slipping after only 50,000 miles and had to end up being replaced. I wish this would have happened under warranty. I just wish some domestic car maker could put something on the market that would last at least 100,000 miles.

Handling

Brakes and drivetrain.

Lower Intake Manifold Gasket
By Dion

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car new in November of 2002 as we needed a roomy family sedan and the Impala was the greatest value at that time. I never was a Chevy guy but with our financial situation at the time, the car was too good to ignore. It has the 3.4L motor. Later I found out that these motors have a design flaw which can cause major engine damage if not addressed right away. The repair cost for the lower intake is $850 but GM covered it as the car was under warranty. Boy in hindsight I should have questioned the oily slime under my father's radiator cap in his Grand Am which also had the problem. But I didn't and he paid the $850. If it lasts to 200k miles, still a great deal and comfortable.

Car looks great and is comfortable and roomy. Great for long drives as it is quiet and smooth. Drivetrain is great and if not for the lower intake issue, I'd rate it a 10 out of 10. Gas mileage is very good on highway.I love the old style front bench seats though not quite like my '72 Buick Electra.

Brakes stink-needed new pads and rotors at 25k miles. Climate control fan no longer functions on 1 and 2 speed setting. Suspension is a little too mushy even for a car that is not a performance vehicle. GM should write a minimum of a $850 check to all customers who had to have the gaskets replaced.

Not so happy
By posimpala

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a used fleet car. It was well taken care of before I got it from my step-mom whose company sold it to me for a great deal. Well, it was good until I hit 125000 miles and then the engine started to fall apart. The heads have come off the rocker arms several times, the guy who fixes my car says he has never seen it but it seems like they were made from real cheap material. Also, the cheap plastic body parts don't hold up well when it is cold as I had a door handle crack off on the rear passenger side one very cold morning. Other than those issues, the car is good.

Spacious interior. I'm 6'6'' and fit nicely in the car. Comfort is good too

Make parts stronger

Has been a really great car.
By R.G.

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car since new and has been very reliable. Gas mileage great for its size.

Big comfortable seating. Large trunk.

A litte more power.

Reliable car
By phil

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has never had anything go bad. It is the most reliable car I ever owned. At over 77000 miles it preforms like new. It is fully loaded and all accessories preform perfectly.

Overhead gauge with compass, fuel economy, and garage door opener. Seat heaters for those cold winter days. Large trunk with fold down rear seats.