Used 2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Best car I've owned
By goiser

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Impala, I get near 30MPG highway and 25 or so freeway, which with last summer's $4+ per gallon I was the envy of my friends. Comfortable- the driver's seat can be tweaked just right w/ fully elec adjustment and lumbar crank. Passenger seat doesn't have all that and seems a little squishier. The 3.8 gives an impressive get-up-and-go, and EXCELLENT passing acceleration when you've been following a slow poke and you've had it. Heated seat on driver's side went out twice, still out since it's $$$ to fix it. Get higher speed-rated tires (like a "T" rating instead of stock "S") and the response will be amazing, like a corvette. Gives great view of the road from inside. Very happy.

Great view of road & mirrors from inside, comfortable "cockpit", great mileage, great acceleration, great sound system, HUGE trunk, nice looks, great handling (with proper tires, that is...not w/ stock Goodyears)

Sturdier exterior door handles (had one break off like another review did, when it was cold outside), child seat anchors are wedged up inside and are a pain to access, hate auto-dimming rearview mirrors they are never sensitive enough and very annoying

Just an mazing car 9C1
By impala fan

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is just amazing. We bought our first impala in 2007. it is a 9C1 impala (police package) with 3.8 L engine and it had 80k m. on it. it is fast, good, reliable, rugged. Now it has about 100 and it still going thank God.

3.8L engine (fun)/ 4 Disk ABS (safe)/ style

none.

Wonderful Car!
By impala lover

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Impala, I've had it for two years and have had no major problems. The brakes went bad at one point but when I bought the car it had 77,000 mi, now It has almost 116,000 and still runs great! I'm not fond of American cars but Chevys are the best! I'd buy the same car again, as long as the miles are lower.

Rear lights, trunk space

cCD player

Consider Something Else
By Bill

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The car hasn't been terribly unreliable, but the front brakes and rotors wear very quickly. Also, the transmission started slipping after only 50,000 miles and had to end up being replaced. I wish this would have happened under warranty. I just wish some domestic car maker could put something on the market that would last at least 100,000 miles.

Handling

Brakes and drivetrain.

Lower Intake Manifold Gasket
By Dion

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car new in November of 2002 as we needed a roomy family sedan and the Impala was the greatest value at that time. I never was a Chevy guy but with our financial situation at the time, the car was too good to ignore. It has the 3.4L motor. Later I found out that these motors have a design flaw which can cause major engine damage if not addressed right away. The repair cost for the lower intake is $850 but GM covered it as the car was under warranty. Boy in hindsight I should have questioned the oily slime under my father's radiator cap in his Grand Am which also had the problem. But I didn't and he paid the $850. If it lasts to 200k miles, still a great deal and comfortable.

Car looks great and is comfortable and roomy. Great for long drives as it is quiet and smooth. Drivetrain is great and if not for the lower intake issue, I'd rate it a 10 out of 10. Gas mileage is very good on highway.I love the old style front bench seats though not quite like my '72 Buick Electra.

Brakes stink-needed new pads and rotors at 25k miles. Climate control fan no longer functions on 1 and 2 speed setting. Suspension is a little too mushy even for a car that is not a performance vehicle. GM should write a minimum of a $850 check to all customers who had to have the gaskets replaced.