Used 2003 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Best Car I've Owned
By Eric

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

So far I love this car. I had purchased a 2005 Chevy Malibu Classic in July but wasn't satisfied with the feel of the engine so I traded it in for a car I was more comfortable with driving. This is the third car I have owned and fifth one I've drove and by far it is the best. The only thing wrong so far is when I first bought the car i couldn't fill my car with gas no matter how full or empty my tank was without it activating the automatic shutoff, but the dealership repaired that for free.

Mobility is my favorite feature, this car handles way better than my previous cars. Also the 3800 Series II engine is a plus, I believe this is the best engine GM has ever built.

Doesn't need any improvements

Love my Impala
By OrlandoBill

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My 03 Impala LS has been great. Excellent fuel mileage (21 avg, 28.5 hwy @ 145k miles). Using Castol Syntec, change when computer says to. Replaced catalytic converter ($800) which seems to be an Impala plague. 130k: transmission started to slip, but nothing serious. Used Seafoam Transmission and most shifting problems went away. 146k: replaced both front bearings ($650). 2.5-3 years: battery dies w/o warning.

Very roomy, HUGE trunk, very quiet touring car. Very low cost per mile to operate, very little maintenance. Super reliable.

Cabin remains hot in the back seat, regardless of air settings. Needs air vents in backseat area. Power steering fluid difficult to check/fill. Needs access tube.

Best Quality Car I ever owned
By David Howland

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Not one repair,not one warranty claim.Ordinary maintenance only. My family uses it for all trips even though we have a newer second car. I average 30 MPG suburban driving to work and shopping. It has 127,000 miles on it and it still runs and looks like new. It has never even been tuned up.Only tires, brakes, wiper blades and oil changes.

Visability all areas. No blind spots.

Softer seat cushions

Very Angry at Chevy
By boinjax

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

As a long time domestic car fan, especially GM, this has sealed the deal for me... NEVER AGAIN, in addition to 3 thermostats, a water pump, radiator and 5 sets of brakes, not to mention a common electrical problem linked to the pass key, now the transmission went out.. the car only has 105k, other INTERNET sources found identical problems from 100-130k miles, the car was bought new, female driven and meticulously maintained, but this car isn't reliable, just decides to run hot and arbitrarily wont start, dealers want a fortune to fix even though they are aware of these problems as common, no wonder the police wont drive them, used to love GM, now, HATE THEM wont even rent a GM car...too bad

used to LOVE the ride and fuel economy,and excellent stereo, but now it does me no good as a $20k lawn ornament

perhaps the designers should actually own these cars used to see what REALLY is wrong with them once the new car smell wears off, btw GM, if it is a common problem FIX IT!!! otherwise your cars are recyclable after 50k miles, stand behind your product! at least reduce costs to fix YOUR rolling scrap

Impala
By Mason

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new. Comfortable- fuel efficient for the size. My car burned half a quart of oil to 1600 miles since new. I use Luca Oil stabilizer- reduced to half quart to 2400 miles. Lucas fuel treatment really made a difference on performance during heavy acceleration. Currently I have a drive train issue that is being diagnosed by GM Dealer. My maintenance on this car is excellent. Nice car..I prey for new intake gasket repair but sense it will come. Brake rotors seem to be an issue on this car.