2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews 4

2003 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

2003 Impala Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Not so happy
By posimpala

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a used fleet car. It was well taken care of before I got it from my step-mom whose company sold it to me for a great deal. Well, it was good until I hit 125000 miles and then the engine started to fall apart. The heads have come off the rocker arms several times, the guy who fixes my car says he has never seen it but it seems like they were made from real cheap material. Also, the cheap plastic body parts don't hold up well when it is cold as I had a door handle crack off on the rear passenger side one very cold morning. Other than those issues, the car is good.

Favorite Features

Spacious interior. I'm 6'6'' and fit nicely in the car. Comfort is good too

Suggested Improvements

Make parts stronger

Has been a really great car.
By R.G.

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car since new and has been very reliable. Gas mileage great for its size.

Favorite Features

Big comfortable seating. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

A litte more power.

Reliable car
By phil

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has never had anything go bad. It is the most reliable car I ever owned. At over 77000 miles it preforms like new. It is fully loaded and all accessories preform perfectly.

Favorite Features

Overhead gauge with compass, fuel economy, and garage door opener. Seat heaters for those cold winter days. Large trunk with fold down rear seats.

Excellent fuel economy, value
By newb

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with 60,000 miles over a month ago. Agree with previous reviewers about head gasket problems. Car has excellent fuel economy for its size - I average 25 mpg in the city, but then I try not to hit the gas too hard. Very spacious but outdated interior design. Good insurance rates compared to similar models. Yet to find out handling in snow with winter tires. Engine noise is pronounced, not as quiet as Taurus but not too bad either. Car feels stable and safe, in fact has very good safity ratings. Steering a bit funny though. Definitely excellent used-car buy even with today's gas prices - highly recommend if OK'd by the mechanic you know well.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency, exterior design, interior space, factory stereo, exceptional value if used

Suggested Improvements

Steering, head gasket, engine noise

Won't Buy Another Chevy
By PhilNTexas

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 2003 new, previously owned a new 2000. The 2000 my below average, but the 2003 is a really crummy car. 21mpg, too low, Horrendous road noise that the dealer couldn't fix. can't keep tires on it, 2 sets in 55k. No torque in drive without hitting passing gear. I had the extended warr, but have had constant problems, motor mounts caused the engine to strike the firewall, rotors were out of balance, replaced myself, check engine light problem, the dealer kept it 2 days, and finally said a squirrel had chewed a wire. If you believe that I have a bridge I want to sell you. Last problem was traction light came on, and dealer wanted $1200 to fix, but finally after many meeting, fixed it.

Favorite Features

The V6, is pretty good in acceleration, except it has no torque, in drive without downshifting.

Suggested Improvements

Send their design and manufacturing team to school at Toyota or BMW. This is a dog of a car. I have owned my last Chevy.

Disappointed
By Gman

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new. I don't put many miles on it, so I'm especially disappointed. Thought it rode nice at first, but not so much now. The car has ample power. No problems with the drivetrain. Brakes are terrible, and the steering shaft clunking (apparently a common problem) has me really hating this car. Rotors are so warped. Rear rotors are so grooved and rusty, they must barely be working.

Favorite Features

Stereo sounds good. I like the exterior styling, alloy wheels. Okay mileage for 200 horses.

Suggested Improvements

GM should stand behind their products! They should redesign and recall their engineering flaws. $25,000 should get you a better car and after-purchase service! And they really need to put better quality interiors in their vehicles.

Satisfied
By Todd

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Impala for about 3 1/2 years now and it has about 111,000 miles on it now. My wife and I drive it everywhere. It has been a great car so far with plenty of room, excellent trunk space and a nice full size car feel on the highway while still handling very well. Fuel mileage is very good with the 3.4 V- 6. I first got about 29mpg. on the highway then switched to full synthetic motor oil which decreased engine drag and increased the highway mileage to 31-32 mpg. Not to mention, the synthetic oil has kept the engine running like new. It is a great car that I would certainly buy again.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, big trunk space, simple but semi-luxury interior, premium sound system, good engine performance, good A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes requiring less maintenance.

Oil consumption
By ed

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Car runs good with excelent fuel economy. Only problem is oil consumption, and anti freeze seems to be greasy at radiator cap. General Motors says one quart every 2000 miles is not out of the ordinary. Oil consumption has been a problem since car was new

Favorite Features

Fuel economy and roomy trunk

Glad I kept it
By charlie

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

A friend had an 01 Saab turbo 5 speed for sale at a good price. I had my 03 Impala LS detailed for $200 which included painting over chips, scrapes and removing the many bumper scratches from single stall garage with tree behind. Engine light on, $89. Saab had slightly better mileage but when I got my car back it looked like new and still performs well. I'll keep another 5 yrs until cars get over 50mpg.

Favorite Features

Good power, easy to drive, comfort, love the heated seats, roomy trunk with back seats that fold down. Very versatile car

Suggested Improvements

Chipped paint on steering wheel controls

Great
By Dan Wolf

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

2003 Impalla purchased in July 03, now has 65,000 miles, 25-28 mpg city, 30- 34 interstate highway mpg, just amazing for a car this size. Very reliable, no problems since purchase, by far best car I have ever owned in my life, and I am 55. Compared to previous Chevrolets I owned from the 70's, 80's and 90's, they have done some darn good engineering.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, ride comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Location of the oil filter on 3.4 liter engine. Very difficult to get to and change.