2003 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Not so happy
By posimpala on 12/07/08 19:02 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a used fleet car. It was well taken care of before I got it from my step-mom whose company sold it to me for a great deal. Well, it was good until I hit 125000 miles and then the engine started to fall apart. The heads have come off the rocker arms several times, the guy who fixes my car says he has never seen it but it seems like they were made from real cheap material. Also, the cheap plastic body parts don't hold up well when it is cold as I had a door handle crack off on the rear passenger side one very cold morning. Other than those issues, the car is good.

Has been a really great car.
By R.G. on 11/06/08 09:27 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car since new and has been very reliable. Gas mileage great for its size.

Reliable car
By phil on 10/31/08 07:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has never had anything go bad. It is the most reliable car I ever owned. At over 77000 miles it preforms like new. It is fully loaded and all accessories preform perfectly.

Excellent fuel economy, value
By newb on 09/11/08 08:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with 60,000 miles over a month ago. Agree with previous reviewers about head gasket problems. Car has excellent fuel economy for its size - I average 25 mpg in the city, but then I try not to hit the gas too hard. Very spacious but outdated interior design. Good insurance rates compared to similar models. Yet to find out handling in snow with winter tires. Engine noise is pronounced, not as quiet as Taurus but not too bad either. Car feels stable and safe, in fact has very good safity ratings. Steering a bit funny though. Definitely excellent used-car buy even with today's gas prices - highly recommend if OK'd by the mechanic you know well.

Won't Buy Another Chevy
By PhilNTexas on 08/10/08 10:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 2003 new, previously owned a new 2000. The 2000 my below average, but the 2003 is a really crummy car. 21mpg, too low, Horrendous road noise that the dealer couldn't fix. can't keep tires on it, 2 sets in 55k. No torque in drive without hitting passing gear. I had the extended warr, but have had constant problems, motor mounts caused the engine to strike the firewall, rotors were out of balance, replaced myself, check engine light problem, the dealer kept it 2 days, and finally said a squirrel had chewed a wire. If you believe that I have a bridge I want to sell you. Last problem was traction light came on, and dealer wanted $1200 to fix, but finally after many meeting, fixed it.

Disappointed
By Gman on 08/04/08 19:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new. I don't put many miles on it, so I'm especially disappointed. Thought it rode nice at first, but not so much now. The car has ample power. No problems with the drivetrain. Brakes are terrible, and the steering shaft clunking (apparently a common problem) has me really hating this car. Rotors are so warped. Rear rotors are so grooved and rusty, they must barely be working.

Satisfied
By Todd on 07/24/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Impala for about 3 1/2 years now and it has about 111,000 miles on it now. My wife and I drive it everywhere. It has been a great car so far with plenty of room, excellent trunk space and a nice full size car feel on the highway while still handling very well. Fuel mileage is very good with the 3.4 V- 6. I first got about 29mpg. on the highway then switched to full synthetic motor oil which decreased engine drag and increased the highway mileage to 31-32 mpg. Not to mention, the synthetic oil has kept the engine running like new. It is a great car that I would certainly buy again.

Oil consumption
By ed on 06/28/08 09:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Car runs good with excelent fuel economy. Only problem is oil consumption, and anti freeze seems to be greasy at radiator cap. General Motors says one quart every 2000 miles is not out of the ordinary. Oil consumption has been a problem since car was new

Glad I kept it
By charlie on 06/25/08 13:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

A friend had an 01 Saab turbo 5 speed for sale at a good price. I had my 03 Impala LS detailed for $200 which included painting over chips, scrapes and removing the many bumper scratches from single stall garage with tree behind. Engine light on, $89. Saab had slightly better mileage but when I got my car back it looked like new and still performs well. I'll keep another 5 yrs until cars get over 50mpg.

Great
By Dan Wolf on 06/13/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

2003 Impalla purchased in July 03, now has 65,000 miles, 25-28 mpg city, 30- 34 interstate highway mpg, just amazing for a car this size. Very reliable, no problems since purchase, by far best car I have ever owned in my life, and I am 55. Compared to previous Chevrolets I owned from the 70's, 80's and 90's, they have done some darn good engineering.