2003 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Solid Car
By Bill on 07/20/10 18:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Given that this was a Chevy, I didn't expect much in the way of reliability. However, I have been very surprised! This is a good and very reliable car. I currently have 133,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. The only real disappointment was that the transmission was replaced at about 105,000 miles. The front brake rotors also warp easily, but those are easy to replace when replacing the pads. The engine still does not burn or leak a drop of oil.

Car is Junk
By Shawn on 07/06/10 12:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car second hand, still under warranty.It refuses to start (won't turn over) about twice per month (passlock issue). Very very annoying. Have to wait 15 minutes, flick door locks, and car will start. Head gaskets failed at 40,000 miles. Rocker arm stud pulled out of head a year ago, just happened again last week. GM used weak aluminum heads. The steering clunks, another GM defect. Body control module has been replaced twice. Lots of other problems as well. Last GM car for me.

Wouldn't own anything else
By Sean on 05/24/10 16:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Impala Ls I have owned. I bought my first one (2001) and it saved my life when I caught black ice and went spinning off the highway into a tree. I bought my second one (2003) with 130,000 miles and it is as solid as a rock. the engine runs smooth as silk, and I have never had to replace anything. I would be hesitant to buy anything else.

GM has knowledge of existing problems
By Super pissed on 05/03/10 10:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

MANY PROBLEMS! This is not my first GM car and I always keep up with the maintenance on my car. Bought my 03 Impala 01/07 with 40,000 miles. Had the catilytic converter replace and back lighting in dash. Last year had $4000 worth of transmission work done because of slipping. Had the intake manifold and gaskets replaced due to the dexcool that gm uses in Dec. here I am 5 months later with a blown motor at 96,000 miles. There are many lawsuits against Gm for the damage the dexcool coolant causes. ADD ME TO THE LIST! Sad to say i will NEVER buy an American made car as long as I live.

Best Car Value for $
By jdefelice on 04/29/10 20:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

No problems even after 80k miles. Still gets avg 30 mpg! 37 mpg highway, amazing! Comfortable, plenty of leg room and very quiet. Still looks sharp and runs great. Love this car and would buy another. Best car for the money it cost.

Impressed
By J on 03/13/10 19:02 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've really enjoyed my Impala; both my wife and I enjoy it more than her Maxima. I've had no problems until recently which include the cruise control turning itself off and at the same time interior fan will stop for a brief moment. I've enjoyed the car so much I've considered trading my wife's Maxima in on a another Impala (her Maxima has surprisingly a number of problems). Mine is the LS w/o leather or the sunroof.

Great Car - Comfort, Class, Performance!
By jemily on 03/02/10 21:30 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

What a great all round vehicle. Wish they would make the new ones just like it. It is hard to copy a classic.

Great value
By WC4R on 02/18/10 11:40 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought as a family car. Lots of room and great trunk. The 3.8L V6 was well proven and it has been great (skip the 3.4L). I got the fully loaded sport package then upgraded it with police alternator, SLP rocker arms, SLP dual exhaust, K&N intake, slotted brake rotors & performance pads, and tuned ECM (LSX model). Have been a fanatic about maintenance & fluid changes (synthetic lubricants everywhere). No trouble except for clogged cat at 70K. At 100K it still runs and looks like new. Plan to keep it to 150K miles.

Very Disapointed
By Courtb86 on 01/08/10 07:37 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this used - 1 owner before me. Drove great at first - loved the car - then this year everything just crapped the bed at once. The transmission went. I love Chevy but I will never own another impala again, my cavalier was more reliable than this car.

03 Impala Ls
By Jerad on 12/08/09 23:03 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Impala Ls on February 12, 2009. Car had 70,000 miles.The car ran great for a long time until it was in a accident in july 09.Cracked my intake,cat converter.Trunk light kept killing the battery(no biggie). After the wreck and shop time I have not any other issues. Tranny is strong smooth, love the car. The car now has 102,000 miles... Already 32,000 miles in less than a year. It's honestly a great car. Other complaints also depend on how hard you are on your car. Hope this helps.