2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
11 years and still going
By cdnbrian on 10/21/13 18:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car since new almost 11 years ago. I have not replaced any major components on this car in over 300,000 km. I have the full original exhaust system. In the past 20,00 km I replaced the wheel bearings and CV shaft. The car still runs like new. I have put paint on the hood and trunk to correct rust but then this car has never seen wax. I had a 93 Lumina and a (8 Lumina before this. In total the 3 chevs have gone a million km. I guess Ill buy another Impala. My son is looking forward to taking this car. Pretty dependable as well as economical.

Overall a Good Buy
By jon_l on 03/21/12 11:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Impala LS second hand with 93,000 miles for my first car. Ran great for a good while but just had to get the catalytic converter replaced at 102,000 miles, Brake Controller Module Replaced, and my Idle Control Valve replaced, costing me all together $1,200. Despite those issues I've had no other issues I love my car. It rides real smooth and has some nice power. Has great gas mileage on the highway. This is really the last stylish model before the new Impalas went out. The interior is very nice and there is plenty of room for 5 people to fit comfortably inside. Currently at 104,500 miles and the car is still running great!

2003 chevy impala LS 3.8
By 2003impala on 12/04/11 18:40 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Where should I start........ it was 2010 when i got my impala only had 70k it was the best car for about 4 months first at 85k the catalytic converter (600$) then the power windows went out (130$) then the oil gasket/pan (30$) did it myself then dash lights went out didn't fix it then ABS was going in and out then water pump (50$) did it myself then the thermostat (10$) and I've only had it 10 months now I'm just like what's next?? MY parents own 9 different chevy's 1971-2010 and this is the only one that as ever disappointed them.

All things that gone wrong
By deaun on 08/05/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My family has always been a Chevy patron. I liked the looks, drive and amenities of my Impala, but in the last 2 years I have had to replace the catalytic converter$739, the solenoid $875(when I took it to the transmission dealer they had been told by the GM company to start carrying this part as it was defective) the intake manifold ($783)wheel bearing, I will never purchase another GM car.

This Car is Junk
By Jon on 07/27/10 11:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Please do not buy this car. GM has gotten so bad, everything they put out is junk. bought the car with 80K, and put 25K on in the last 2 years. replaced brakes and rotors, no biggie, that was easy. car hit 100K and dash board lights lit up like a Christmas tree. ABS and Trac Control Failed, module failed, repalcement cost $2,700 for parts. So that hasn't been done, no more trac control or ABS for me. Had the headlights go out once on a sharp curve, that was nice. the radio light flashed at me, which is a pain at night. in the day you can't read the odometer or radio lights. now the AC blower motor doesn't work all the time. have to shut the car off and restart. this car is junk.

Comfortable, durable, safe and fun
By jmr on 07/21/10 11:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new with huge discounts and rebates. after 7 years and 160,000 miles, and one major accident, it still runs and looks great. Good power, good on fuel. My wife fell asleep at the wheel at 70 mph, careened off guard rails and into ditch, woke up without a scratch and drove it 80 miles home! Had the common problems - passlock security preventing start randomly but seldom (I've never fixed it), replaced catalytic converter (~$300), replaced front bearings myself (~$225). Very happy, still enjoy the car, will keep for 200K+ miles.

Wouldn't own anything else
By Sean on 05/24/10 16:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Impala Ls I have owned. I bought my first one (2001) and it saved my life when I caught black ice and went spinning off the highway into a tree. I bought my second one (2003) with 130,000 miles and it is as solid as a rock. the engine runs smooth as silk, and I have never had to replace anything. I would be hesitant to buy anything else.

GM has knowledge of existing problems
By Super pissed on 05/03/10 10:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

MANY PROBLEMS! This is not my first GM car and I always keep up with the maintenance on my car. Bought my 03 Impala 01/07 with 40,000 miles. Had the catilytic converter replace and back lighting in dash. Last year had $4000 worth of transmission work done because of slipping. Had the intake manifold and gaskets replaced due to the dexcool that gm uses in Dec. here I am 5 months later with a blown motor at 96,000 miles. There are many lawsuits against Gm for the damage the dexcool coolant causes. ADD ME TO THE LIST! Sad to say i will NEVER buy an American made car as long as I live.

Impressed
By J on 03/13/10 19:02 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've really enjoyed my Impala; both my wife and I enjoy it more than her Maxima. I've had no problems until recently which include the cruise control turning itself off and at the same time interior fan will stop for a brief moment. I've enjoyed the car so much I've considered trading my wife's Maxima in on a another Impala (her Maxima has surprisingly a number of problems). Mine is the LS w/o leather or the sunroof.

Great value
By WC4R on 02/18/10 11:40 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought as a family car. Lots of room and great trunk. The 3.8L V6 was well proven and it has been great (skip the 3.4L). I got the fully loaded sport package then upgraded it with police alternator, SLP rocker arms, SLP dual exhaust, K&N intake, slotted brake rotors & performance pads, and tuned ECM (LSX model). Have been a fanatic about maintenance & fluid changes (synthetic lubricants everywhere). No trouble except for clogged cat at 70K. At 100K it still runs and looks like new. Plan to keep it to 150K miles.