Used 2003 Chevrolet Impala Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Over all It's been a good car.
By bedog

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it. Around 70,000 miles I had to replace my intake manifold gasket. I took it to a mechanic, not the dealership. He installed a quality after market gasket. I had brake rotor issues with this car until I did the brakes myself. I replaced the rotors with quality after market. The wheel lugs need to be torqued to proper specs, this will prolong rotor life. You need to flush and fill the radiator every 1 or 2 years despite dexcool specs. I keep it very clean. This car requires regular oil changes and cooling flushes. Synthetic oil and regular cooling flushes will keep it going. By using synthetic oil you don't need to change every 3K. Let the sensor work.

It has a lot of room. This is not a sports car and should not be driven like one. You take it easy on the driving and it will take it easy on your wallet.

If you are handy, some regular DIY PM will keep this thing going. If you aren't handy, you will need a trusted mechanic. I bought this thing used for less then half its full value, so I got a really good deal on it. Problems with brakes, cooling and intake manifold issues can all be resolved with quality after market parts. Quality after market rotors will last longer. Ceramic brake pads will keep your rotors cooler. Re-Cut rotors for any car do not last as long. GM had a plastic manifold. The block is iron and the heads are aluminum. They expand and contract at different rates. The hard OEM plastic gasket will fail. You need a silicone rubber gasket, this has give yet will maintain a seal.

6 Years Later
By v_nick

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I originally wrote a review in 9/2006 shortly after purchasing the car pre-owned. As we approach the sixth anniversary of purchase, we are delighted to report that this has been the best sedan we have owned! In our entire ownership, we have replaced a relay fuse ($50), a manifold gasket ($300) and a wheel bearing ($225). We finally replaced the original tires and breaks a little more than a year ago. Speaking of tires, my earlier review spoke of front end road noise. This disappeared with new tires. The car was originally equipped with cheap Uniroyals. The car still looks great, and runs and runs and runs! It replaced a Nissan which we purchased new & was totally unreliable.

Roominess Leg room Fuel economy

Windshield area visibilty

Buyer Beware
By zabora

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 impala from a reputable dealer with only 41000 miles on it. Originally bought for my wife as a family car, but it has been so unreliable that she won't drive it anymore. It has been absolute trouble since I bought it. First the intake manifold gasket went. Then, the electronics stopped working properly. No signal, no heat control, no air control. All failed at different times. Then the front end started having problems. Tie Rods, Rotors, and now finally today, the steering rack. Completely failed going down the road. Could not power steer at all. I have always been a chevy man, and have lived with typical chevty problems; but no more. This is my last car from them.

Roomy and the heated seats, but the comfort is not worth the over 3 thousand dollars in repairs I have made on this car within the past 18 months.

Improve your quality control department. Install parts that will last more than 50 thousand miles.

Love my Impala!
By Nicole H.

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I researched a lot before purchasing the impala, comparing to Dodge Intrepid and Nissan Maxima. Loved the impala because was midsized car and could fit 6 people comfortably. Including an adult male in backseat comfortably. Also a great price with great mileage per gallon. Perfect car for starting family and working a distance from home.

I have had my car 6 years, now at 280,000 miles. Still going strong with only repair being 1 transmission replacement. Still love my car, and scared of thought of having to replace at some point. Probably will get another impala!

None! Been a very reliable, comfortable yet still sporty car.

Solid Car
By Bill

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Given that this was a Chevy, I didn't expect much in the way of reliability. However, I have been very surprised! This is a good and very reliable car. I currently have 133,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. The only real disappointment was that the transmission was replaced at about 105,000 miles. The front brake rotors also warp easily, but those are easy to replace when replacing the pads. The engine still does not burn or leak a drop of oil.

Reliable, comfortable, strong engine, good fuel economy.

Transmission and brakes.