2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
11 years and still going
By cdnbrian on 10/21/13 18:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car since new almost 11 years ago. I have not replaced any major components on this car in over 300,000 km. I have the full original exhaust system. In the past 20,00 km I replaced the wheel bearings and CV shaft. The car still runs like new. I have put paint on the hood and trunk to correct rust but then this car has never seen wax. I had a 93 Lumina and a (8 Lumina before this. In total the 3 chevs have gone a million km. I guess Ill buy another Impala. My son is looking forward to taking this car. Pretty dependable as well as economical.

Over all It's been a good car.
By bedog on 01/16/13 19:03 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it. Around 70,000 miles I had to replace my intake manifold gasket. I took it to a mechanic, not the dealership. He installed a quality after market gasket. I had brake rotor issues with this car until I did the brakes myself. I replaced the rotors with quality after market. The wheel lugs need to be torqued to proper specs, this will prolong rotor life. You need to flush and fill the radiator every 1 or 2 years despite dexcool specs. I keep it very clean. This car requires regular oil changes and cooling flushes. Synthetic oil and regular cooling flushes will keep it going. By using synthetic oil you don't need to change every 3K. Let the sensor work.

Overall a Good Buy
By jon_l on 03/21/12 11:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Impala LS second hand with 93,000 miles for my first car. Ran great for a good while but just had to get the catalytic converter replaced at 102,000 miles, Brake Controller Module Replaced, and my Idle Control Valve replaced, costing me all together $1,200. Despite those issues I've had no other issues I love my car. It rides real smooth and has some nice power. Has great gas mileage on the highway. This is really the last stylish model before the new Impalas went out. The interior is very nice and there is plenty of room for 5 people to fit comfortably inside. Currently at 104,500 miles and the car is still running great!

6 Years Later
By v_nick on 01/03/12 19:55 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I originally wrote a review in 9/2006 shortly after purchasing the car pre-owned. As we approach the sixth anniversary of purchase, we are delighted to report that this has been the best sedan we have owned! In our entire ownership, we have replaced a relay fuse ($50), a manifold gasket ($300) and a wheel bearing ($225). We finally replaced the original tires and breaks a little more than a year ago. Speaking of tires, my earlier review spoke of front end road noise. This disappeared with new tires. The car was originally equipped with cheap Uniroyals. The car still looks great, and runs and runs and runs! It replaced a Nissan which we purchased new & was totally unreliable.

Buyer Beware
By zabora on 12/16/11 15:57 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 impala from a reputable dealer with only 41000 miles on it. Originally bought for my wife as a family car, but it has been so unreliable that she won't drive it anymore. It has been absolute trouble since I bought it. First the intake manifold gasket went. Then, the electronics stopped working properly. No signal, no heat control, no air control. All failed at different times. Then the front end started having problems. Tie Rods, Rotors, and now finally today, the steering rack. Completely failed going down the road. Could not power steer at all. I have always been a chevy man, and have lived with typical chevty problems; but no more. This is my last car from them.

2003 chevy impala LS 3.8
By 2003impala on 12/04/11 18:40 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Where should I start........ it was 2010 when i got my impala only had 70k it was the best car for about 4 months first at 85k the catalytic converter (600$) then the power windows went out (130$) then the oil gasket/pan (30$) did it myself then dash lights went out didn't fix it then ABS was going in and out then water pump (50$) did it myself then the thermostat (10$) and I've only had it 10 months now I'm just like what's next?? MY parents own 9 different chevy's 1971-2010 and this is the only one that as ever disappointed them.

Love my Impala!
By Nicole H. on 09/01/10 11:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I researched a lot before purchasing the impala, comparing to Dodge Intrepid and Nissan Maxima. Loved the impala because was midsized car and could fit 6 people comfortably. Including an adult male in backseat comfortably. Also a great price with great mileage per gallon. Perfect car for starting family and working a distance from home.

All things that gone wrong
By deaun on 08/05/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My family has always been a Chevy patron. I liked the looks, drive and amenities of my Impala, but in the last 2 years I have had to replace the catalytic converter$739, the solenoid $875(when I took it to the transmission dealer they had been told by the GM company to start carrying this part as it was defective) the intake manifold ($783)wheel bearing, I will never purchase another GM car.

This Car is Junk
By Jon on 07/27/10 11:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Please do not buy this car. GM has gotten so bad, everything they put out is junk. bought the car with 80K, and put 25K on in the last 2 years. replaced brakes and rotors, no biggie, that was easy. car hit 100K and dash board lights lit up like a Christmas tree. ABS and Trac Control Failed, module failed, repalcement cost $2,700 for parts. So that hasn't been done, no more trac control or ABS for me. Had the headlights go out once on a sharp curve, that was nice. the radio light flashed at me, which is a pain at night. in the day you can't read the odometer or radio lights. now the AC blower motor doesn't work all the time. have to shut the car off and restart. this car is junk.

Comfortable, durable, safe and fun
By jmr on 07/21/10 11:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new with huge discounts and rebates. after 7 years and 160,000 miles, and one major accident, it still runs and looks great. Good power, good on fuel. My wife fell asleep at the wheel at 70 mph, careened off guard rails and into ditch, woke up without a scratch and drove it 80 miles home! Had the common problems - passlock security preventing start randomly but seldom (I've never fixed it), replaced catalytic converter (~$300), replaced front bearings myself (~$225). Very happy, still enjoy the car, will keep for 200K+ miles.