Used 2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

11 years and still going
By cdnbrian

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car since new almost 11 years ago. I have not replaced any major components on this car in over 300,000 km. I have the full original exhaust system. In the past 20,00 km I replaced the wheel bearings and CV shaft. The car still runs like new. I have put paint on the hood and trunk to correct rust but then this car has never seen wax. I had a 93 Lumina and a (8 Lumina before this. In total the 3 chevs have gone a million km. I guess Ill buy another Impala. My son is looking forward to taking this car. Pretty dependable as well as economical.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, quiet and still looks good.

Suggested Improvements

The next Impala won"t be a work car so I'll dress it up.

Over all It's been a good car.
By bedog

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it. Around 70,000 miles I had to replace my intake manifold gasket. I took it to a mechanic, not the dealership. He installed a quality after market gasket. I had brake rotor issues with this car until I did the brakes myself. I replaced the rotors with quality after market. The wheel lugs need to be torqued to proper specs, this will prolong rotor life. You need to flush and fill the radiator every 1 or 2 years despite dexcool specs. I keep it very clean. This car requires regular oil changes and cooling flushes. Synthetic oil and regular cooling flushes will keep it going. By using synthetic oil you don't need to change every 3K. Let the sensor work.

Favorite Features

It has a lot of room. This is not a sports car and should not be driven like one. You take it easy on the driving and it will take it easy on your wallet.

Suggested Improvements

If you are handy, some regular DIY PM will keep this thing going. If you aren't handy, you will need a trusted mechanic. I bought this thing used for less then half its full value, so I got a really good deal on it. Problems with brakes, cooling and intake manifold issues can all be resolved with quality after market parts. Quality after market rotors will last longer. Ceramic brake pads will keep your rotors cooler. Re-Cut rotors for any car do not last as long. GM had a plastic manifold. The block is iron and the heads are aluminum. They expand and contract at different rates. The hard OEM plastic gasket will fail. You need a silicone rubber gasket, this has give yet will maintain a seal.

Overall a Good Buy
By jon_l

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Impala LS second hand with 93,000 miles for my first car. Ran great for a good while but just had to get the catalytic converter replaced at 102,000 miles, Brake Controller Module Replaced, and my Idle Control Valve replaced, costing me all together $1,200. Despite those issues I've had no other issues I love my car. It rides real smooth and has some nice power. Has great gas mileage on the highway. This is really the last stylish model before the new Impalas went out. The interior is very nice and there is plenty of room for 5 people to fit comfortably inside. Currently at 104,500 miles and the car is still running great!

Favorite Features

Optional 3.8L VS engine controls on steering wheel center shifting column spacious center compartments sporty exterior on LS low interior ride noise

Suggested Improvements

improve quality of parts should have had a recall for the catalytic converter

6 Years Later
By v_nick

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I originally wrote a review in 9/2006 shortly after purchasing the car pre-owned. As we approach the sixth anniversary of purchase, we are delighted to report that this has been the best sedan we have owned! In our entire ownership, we have replaced a relay fuse ($50), a manifold gasket ($300) and a wheel bearing ($225). We finally replaced the original tires and breaks a little more than a year ago. Speaking of tires, my earlier review spoke of front end road noise. This disappeared with new tires. The car was originally equipped with cheap Uniroyals. The car still looks great, and runs and runs and runs! It replaced a Nissan which we purchased new & was totally unreliable.

Favorite Features

Roominess Leg room Fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Windshield area visibilty

Buyer Beware
By zabora

2003 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 impala from a reputable dealer with only 41000 miles on it. Originally bought for my wife as a family car, but it has been so unreliable that she won't drive it anymore. It has been absolute trouble since I bought it. First the intake manifold gasket went. Then, the electronics stopped working properly. No signal, no heat control, no air control. All failed at different times. Then the front end started having problems. Tie Rods, Rotors, and now finally today, the steering rack. Completely failed going down the road. Could not power steer at all. I have always been a chevy man, and have lived with typical chevty problems; but no more. This is my last car from them.

Favorite Features

Roomy and the heated seats, but the comfort is not worth the over 3 thousand dollars in repairs I have made on this car within the past 18 months.

Suggested Improvements

Improve your quality control department. Install parts that will last more than 50 thousand miles.