2003 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Over all It's been a good car.
By bedog on 01/16/13 19:03 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it. Around 70,000 miles I had to replace my intake manifold gasket. I took it to a mechanic, not the dealership. He installed a quality after market gasket. I had brake rotor issues with this car until I did the brakes myself. I replaced the rotors with quality after market. The wheel lugs need to be torqued to proper specs, this will prolong rotor life. You need to flush and fill the radiator every 1 or 2 years despite dexcool specs. I keep it very clean. This car requires regular oil changes and cooling flushes. Synthetic oil and regular cooling flushes will keep it going. By using synthetic oil you don't need to change every 3K. Let the sensor work.

6 Years Later
By v_nick on 01/03/12 19:55 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I originally wrote a review in 9/2006 shortly after purchasing the car pre-owned. As we approach the sixth anniversary of purchase, we are delighted to report that this has been the best sedan we have owned! In our entire ownership, we have replaced a relay fuse ($50), a manifold gasket ($300) and a wheel bearing ($225). We finally replaced the original tires and breaks a little more than a year ago. Speaking of tires, my earlier review spoke of front end road noise. This disappeared with new tires. The car was originally equipped with cheap Uniroyals. The car still looks great, and runs and runs and runs! It replaced a Nissan which we purchased new & was totally unreliable.

Buyer Beware
By zabora on 12/16/11 15:57 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 impala from a reputable dealer with only 41000 miles on it. Originally bought for my wife as a family car, but it has been so unreliable that she won't drive it anymore. It has been absolute trouble since I bought it. First the intake manifold gasket went. Then, the electronics stopped working properly. No signal, no heat control, no air control. All failed at different times. Then the front end started having problems. Tie Rods, Rotors, and now finally today, the steering rack. Completely failed going down the road. Could not power steer at all. I have always been a chevy man, and have lived with typical chevty problems; but no more. This is my last car from them.

Love my Impala!
By Nicole H. on 09/01/10 11:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I researched a lot before purchasing the impala, comparing to Dodge Intrepid and Nissan Maxima. Loved the impala because was midsized car and could fit 6 people comfortably. Including an adult male in backseat comfortably. Also a great price with great mileage per gallon. Perfect car for starting family and working a distance from home.

Solid Car
By Bill on 07/20/10 18:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Given that this was a Chevy, I didn't expect much in the way of reliability. However, I have been very surprised! This is a good and very reliable car. I currently have 133,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. The only real disappointment was that the transmission was replaced at about 105,000 miles. The front brake rotors also warp easily, but those are easy to replace when replacing the pads. The engine still does not burn or leak a drop of oil.

Car is Junk
By Shawn on 07/06/10 12:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car second hand, still under warranty.It refuses to start (won't turn over) about twice per month (passlock issue). Very very annoying. Have to wait 15 minutes, flick door locks, and car will start. Head gaskets failed at 40,000 miles. Rocker arm stud pulled out of head a year ago, just happened again last week. GM used weak aluminum heads. The steering clunks, another GM defect. Body control module has been replaced twice. Lots of other problems as well. Last GM car for me.

Best Car Value for $
By jdefelice on 04/29/10 20:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

No problems even after 80k miles. Still gets avg 30 mpg! 37 mpg highway, amazing! Comfortable, plenty of leg room and very quiet. Still looks sharp and runs great. Love this car and would buy another. Best car for the money it cost.

Great Car - Comfort, Class, Performance!
By jemily on 03/02/10 21:30 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

What a great all round vehicle. Wish they would make the new ones just like it. It is hard to copy a classic.

Best Quality Car I ever owned
By David Howland on 05/18/09 18:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Not one repair,not one warranty claim.Ordinary maintenance only. My family uses it for all trips even though we have a newer second car. I average 30 MPG suburban driving to work and shopping. It has 127,000 miles on it and it still runs and looks like new. It has never even been tuned up.Only tires, brakes, wiper blades and oil changes.

Very Angry at Chevy
By boinjax on 05/17/09 20:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

As a long time domestic car fan, especially GM, this has sealed the deal for me... NEVER AGAIN, in addition to 3 thermostats, a water pump, radiator and 5 sets of brakes, not to mention a common electrical problem linked to the pass key, now the transmission went out.. the car only has 105k, other INTERNET sources found identical problems from 100-130k miles, the car was bought new, female driven and meticulously maintained, but this car isn't reliable, just decides to run hot and arbitrarily wont start, dealers want a fortune to fix even though they are aware of these problems as common, no wonder the police wont drive them, used to love GM, now, HATE THEM wont even rent a GM car...too bad