Used 2003 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Crappy chevy
By Derrick wilson

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is horrible. Brought this car in 2008 & it been hell ever since. The transmission went out 2 times since I've had it. Overheats every summer bad brakes constantly needs oil changes cost to much to keep maintance up. Brought brakes brand new & there already squeaky traction light pop up anti lock light popped up check engine light has been checked 4 times headlights are fogged out. At 40 miles this car seems like it's going 20. I'm just very let down about this car. Like I said the transmission has gone out twice.

Got Chevy!
By richard

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2003 Chevy Impala which was my company car. I was able to purchase it after the lease ended. It was well maintained per company policy. It had high mileage due to my driving it for business. Because it had no real issues I felt it would be a good buy in 2006 with 72500 miles on it. I have not been disappointed. Its real value is it is paid for. Now that I am retired it is used as a second car. I put on a few thousand miles a year just doing local trips to the store etc. Hope to keep it for many more years. It is the best american car I have owned.

11 years and still going
By cdnbrian

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car since new almost 11 years ago.
I have not replaced any major components on this car in over 300,000 km.
I have the full original exhaust system.
In the past 20,00 km I replaced the wheel bearings and CV shaft.
The car still runs like new.
I have put paint on the hood and trunk to correct rust but then this car has never seen wax.
I had a 93 Lumina and a (8 Lumina before this.
In total the 3 chevs have gone a million km.
I guess Ill buy another Impala.
My son is looking forward to taking this car.
Pretty dependable as well as economical.

Comfortable, quiet and still looks good.

The next Impala won"t be a work car so I'll dress it up.

Over all It's been a good car.
By bedog

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it. Around 70,000 miles I had to replace my intake manifold gasket. I took it to a mechanic, not the dealership. He installed a quality after market gasket. I had brake rotor issues with this car until I did the brakes myself. I replaced the rotors with quality after market. The wheel lugs need to be torqued to proper specs, this will prolong rotor life. You need to flush and fill the radiator every 1 or 2 years despite dexcool specs. I keep it very clean. This car requires regular oil changes and cooling flushes. Synthetic oil and regular cooling flushes will keep it going. By using synthetic oil you don't need to change every 3K. Let the sensor work.

It has a lot of room. This is not a sports car and should not be driven like one. You take it easy on the driving and it will take it easy on your wallet.

If you are handy, some regular DIY PM will keep this thing going. If you aren't handy, you will need a trusted mechanic. I bought this thing used for less then half its full value, so I got a really good deal on it. Problems with brakes, cooling and intake manifold issues can all be resolved with quality after market parts. Quality after market rotors will last longer. Ceramic brake pads will keep your rotors cooler. Re-Cut rotors for any car do not last as long. GM had a plastic manifold. The block is iron and the heads are aluminum. They expand and contract at different rates. The hard OEM plastic gasket will fail. You need a silicone rubber gasket, this has give yet will maintain a seal.

Overall a Good Buy
By jon_l

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Impala LS second hand with 93,000 miles for my first car.
Ran great for a good while but just had to get the catalytic converter replaced at 102,000 miles, Brake Controller Module Replaced, and my Idle Control Valve replaced, costing me all together $1,200.
Despite those issues I've had no other issues I love my car.
It rides real smooth and has some nice power.
Has great gas mileage on the highway.
This is really the last stylish model before the new Impalas went out.
The interior is very nice and there is plenty of room for 5 people to fit comfortably inside.
Currently at 104,500 miles and the car is still running great!

Optional 3.8L VS engine controls on steering wheel center shifting column spacious center compartments sporty exterior on LS low interior ride noise

improve quality of parts should have had a recall for the catalytic converter