Very Generic Feeling
By Pablo on
2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)
In short, this car just came off feeling like a very generic economy sedan. The HP and Torque numbers look good on paper, but on the road the 3.4L engine was quite anemic. The steering had a huge dead spot in the middle on straightaways at highway speeds; keeping it on-center took a lot of work. Also, the sound system has really poor separation and muddy bass. I know some might disagree with this, but even with less HP (and for about $2,100 less in price), I really prefer the Dodge Stratus for styling, comfort and handling.
Favorite Features
This is one few cars where I like the auto on/off timing of the lights. The power locks also have lockout prevention, which is a nice feature. On radio stations that include their name in the broadcast signal, that name displays in place of the frequency, which is a nice touch.
Suggested Improvements
Chevy definitely needs to work on the steering first. The performance of the base model could also use some tweaking. I liked everything about the Impalas of a few years ago better; it's a shame, but the redesigned one hasn't really inherited the "Impala Spirit."