2002 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Review: So far, so good.

2002 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Review

So far, so good.
By Nipper on

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

3.8 engine - smooth, quiet, and responsive. Brakes - excellent. Transmission - smooth as silk (Chrysler, take note). Solid. Styling just different enough to generate excitement, but not goofy-looking like an Aztec. Heard many positives about this 3.8 engine; now I see why. Better legroom than most. Looked very seriously at the Accord and Camry - thinking about resale - but to say those cars are not in the same class is an understatement. Dozens of features that I will enjoy that are not engineered into or offered on those two. Trade-in isn't everything - the total driving experience counts for a lot.

Where do I begin? Heated seats, speed-compensated sound, powertrain, styling, Onstar, solid feel, brakes, fit and trim, safety rating, horn doesn't honk when you lock the doors with the remote (lights flash). Mileage has so far been very good.

Ride is just a bit rough on bumpy interstates with the sport/touring package, but preferred over my Marquis boat, which is too soft. Even the upgraded sound system could be better, but it still beats 90% of what you'll find in other vehicles.