Used 2002 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Dont Buy This Car...
By jnagle

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

There honestly isn't a single thing that makes this car worth buying. The body is starting to rust and the clear coat on the rims is gone. The cat went at 60k and they refused to fix it b/c it wasnt setting of the codes but the car was undrivable. The damage from the car killed my engine, now I get 19mpg/highway. Now at 85k the tranny is going. Car shifts hard in between gears and engine makes a high pitched sound???

Favorite Features

None....

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg, make a catalytic conv that works, trannys going at 85k, engine sounds bad, car wont start sometimes (bad ignigition cylinder)

Buy an Impala
By Linda Greb

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned our Impala now for about 4 years and we love it. We have not experienced any major mechanical problems. We have a 3.4 cu. inch engine which I wished had a little more pick up. It gets great gas mileage. We would defiantly go out and purchase another Impala.

Favorite Features

It rides nice and gets great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

A little more pick up when you want to speed up.

After 5 years...
By GENE

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my fully loaded Impala LS right off the lot with 13 miles on it. After 5 years and mostly city travel, I can now say it has been virtualy trouble free. Plenty of horsepower, and room for 5 adults. Trunk is huge. Only had a couple of trouble with the fan speed modulator and coolant sensor. That's it! At 38,000 miles still on the original brakes, and I am now averaging a lot better gas mileage 21 around town. And I average over 32 MPG highway at 55 MPH. I have gotten over 35 MPG highway on back roads from Fitchburg, Ma. to Kneene, NH. I was thinking of trading last year to a new Honda Civic. Then I said to myself why? I would lose all this roominess!

Favorite Features

Heated seats here in New England! Excellent stereo system, OnStar security, space. Dependability! Gas mileage for this size car. Horsepower. Audio controls on wheel. Auto dimming mirror. Looks, easy to clean interior. Sunroof. Have never gotten stuck in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Tires make loud noise at highway speed..

Impressed
By Gregg

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I received my Impala new in November of 2002 as my police patrol vehicle. This car has been outstanding! It came equipped with the 9C1 police package and has not disappointed me. It is very powerful with the 3.8L V-6, and the 4 wheel disc brakes are outstanding. I have 115,000 miles in less than 5 years and have not replaced the brakes. The interior room gets a little cramped in the front, but the trunk is huge and holds all of my junk with ease. This car is a vast improvement over the Lumina police car. The only repairs to date are new electric cooling fans and a catlytic converter covered under warranty. I would buy one for my own personal car

Favorite Features

Excellent ride and handling. Great power and stopping. Very dependable and good looks. I get a lot of comments on the style of the car. Even with the V-6 I can keep up with the Crown Vics with the V-8. Everyone thinks I have a V-8 in the car.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more front area storage. I have no place for pens,paperclips, etc. My car doesn't have the console, so I have no cupholders. Needs better gauge package for oil pressure, amps and other engine monitoring.

It's good
By ladyj

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 used with abou 64K miles on it. It's run well, but has had issues that mechanics tell me are typical for this car. Had to replace intake manifold gasket, major work to front end including replaceing a wheel hub because of bad bearing, fixed power window switch on driver's side, had to have ignition replaced. That said, I still love the thing and I'm buying a newer model when I can.

Favorite Features

Body style, dual air controls