Used 2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

One Owner
By boom

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

28 to 30 mpg to work and home regularly. 31 mpg highway. No major problems since purchased at 12 miles now has 90,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Little maintenance required. Great mpg for vehicle class.

Suggested Improvements

Repairs required in 90000 miles: window regulators, fuel regulator. The cassette tape player is broken.

My new Ol' Reliable
By Vetmom

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a demo model. I am the original owner and have had all the recommended maintenance done on it. This car still gets me 27MPG around town and almost 30 MPG on the interstate. I am 5'10" and I can set the driver seat where I want it, sit in the back seat and still have plenty of room.

Favorite Features

Mileage, reliability, interior room, huge trunk

Put to rest
By PK in CA

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the LS new. After 140,000 the cat converter died. There were mechanical problems that seemed more frequent then I would have hoped. Good overall considering all the stop & go of Los Angeles. Brakes and tires performed well. Replaced battery after 5 years, spark plug wires needed replacing. No transmission problems, no electric motor problems.

Favorite Features

Mileage, considering car size. Trunk space, awesome. Power when full of passengers. Sound system. Visor extension

Suggested Improvements

Allow lights to be completely turned off.

Tranny done
By Lindsay

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Impala in 2006 with 48k miles. In 2007 I began driving 120 miles a day for work and now it has plenty of highway miles. I've replaced my struts, my driver side mirror is wobbly, replaced my headlights due to moisture in the lamps, the seal on the door leaks in the lightest of rain, I have recently found that my tranny is going out at 135k miles. Very disappointed. Thought I could drive this well into the 160k mile range. It's a Chevy for crying out loud! My husband is trying to talk me into another Impala, I read the reviews- I may being turning to Toyota....but not a Ford at least.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Like the back seat that folds down- very handy for hauling large items.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights, door seals, radio controls, there is a pretty signifigant blind spot on the driver's side too.

Too Many Problems, Too Soon
By BigEl

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Let's see. I bought this car at 35K, 2 years later I have 66K. I have had to change the cat converter, the entire rear brake system and now at only 66K, I am being told that I have to have my transmission rebuilt. It's making this big noise as if I'm driving a truck. And to top it off, the amp or the radio went so I have no music. also, my power window switch needs replacing. Shouldn't have these problems with a car that is 6 years old with me being the 3rd driver of this vehicle since manufactured; and the 2nd guy only had it for a year. No more American cars for me. Too busy skimping on quality parts to make us spend more money instead of making a long-lasting, reliable vehicle.

Favorite Features

CD/tape deck, sound quality of radio, roomy interior, huge trunk, glass antenna, function controls through the radio(lights, oil monitor, tire pressure monitor, etc.)

Suggested Improvements

Stop using cheap parts for these cars and use quality parts that will last. No good having style and beauty when the car has a short life span.