Used 2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Disappointed
By PS

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We had to make a fast purchase after our van was totaled. The car felt solid, tranny, engine, and suspension. Bought it with 110K now 8 months later has 118k, so far have replaced windshield (all pitted), battery, intake gasket. Headlight switch is bad (lights go out on whim, brights won't stay on), engine light is on, drivers window is stuck open, all door gaskets are torn when bought it. Hub cap paint is peeling off. So disappointing. Never have we put so much into a vehicle. I thought I'd like a new Impala for my next vehicle, but not now anymore.

Love the body style, rides just beautiful, has a good, solid feel to drive. Gets 30 mpg hwy.

Stop using cheap parts! Chevy should stand for quality. I don't think I want another Chevy. This is so sad.

One Owner
By boom

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

28 to 30 mpg to work and home regularly. 31 mpg highway. No major problems since purchased at 12 miles now has 90,000 miles.

Little maintenance required. Great mpg for vehicle class.

Repairs required in 90000 miles: window regulators, fuel regulator. The cassette tape player is broken.

My new Ol' Reliable
By Vetmom

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a demo model. I am the original owner and have had all the recommended maintenance done on it. This car still gets me 27MPG around town and almost 30 MPG on the interstate. I am 5'10" and I can set the driver seat where I want it, sit in the back seat and still have plenty of room.

Mileage, reliability, interior room, huge trunk

Put to rest
By PK in CA

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the LS new. After 140,000 the cat converter died. There were mechanical problems that seemed more frequent then I would have hoped. Good overall considering all the stop & go of Los Angeles. Brakes and tires performed well. Replaced battery after 5 years, spark plug wires needed replacing. No transmission problems, no electric motor problems.

Mileage, considering car size. Trunk space, awesome. Power when full of passengers. Sound system. Visor extension

Allow lights to be completely turned off.

Tranny done
By Lindsay

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Impala in 2006 with 48k miles. In 2007 I began driving 120 miles a day for work and now it has plenty of highway miles. I've replaced my struts, my driver side mirror is wobbly, replaced my headlights due to moisture in the lamps, the seal on the door leaks in the lightest of rain, I have recently found that my tranny is going out at 135k miles. Very disappointed. Thought I could drive this well into the 160k mile range. It's a Chevy for crying out loud! My husband is trying to talk me into another Impala, I read the reviews- I may being turning to Toyota....but not a Ford at least.

Good gas mileage. Like the back seat that folds down- very handy for hauling large items.

Headlights, door seals, radio controls, there is a pretty signifigant blind spot on the driver's side too.