Used 2002 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Awesome Car
By awesome1

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 20,000 miles on it for my wife who is a realtor & it has been excellent. So far the only major repair has been a replacement of the power steering module/motor/output shaft. We now have 120,000 miles on it. We change the oil every 3-4,000 miles & do a pan drop & filter change on the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. We try to never have more than 1 summer season on the transmission fluid as I believe heat is the death of transmission fluid & we live in the Carolina's. My wife is a realtor & she subjects the car to extensive around town driving. We have the LS trim package w/trunk spoiler.

Favorite Features

Sporty exterior styling & the car drives very well. I cannot help but punch the gas every now & again when I drive this car.The car has excellent pick up & acceleration capabilities.The car has a huge trunk! It is one of the few cars that will accept a full size "HomeForSaleSign" in trunk! & close!

Suggested Improvements

Quality of the interior plastic components could be improved on the car. It would be an improvement if the car had a/c vents to service the back seat either through the console or through the doors like the Intrepid. The a/c cools very well, but could use more air circulation to the back seat!

A quality car that is worth the $$
By ChargerLT21

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. It is very reliable and it sounds great too. I love cruising with the sunroof open, and the heated leather seats are great in the winter months. As far as gas goes, it is respectable. A quality car all around. It looks good from the outside as well.

Favorite Features

RDS stereo system, heated seats, leather seats, power sunroof, spoiler, power windows and doors

Suggested Improvements

They need to put an AUX jack for iPod connection. Also, the rear view mirror is massive and it is hard to see around it

DO NOT BUY THESE IMPALAS
By upset

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car back in 2003 with only 18k now it has 104k and the transmission is about to go out, security light has been on for 2 years now, problems with oil pan gasket, leaking antifreeze, oil. The Chevy dealership couldn't program the remote control to the car! (couldn't believe it) abs sensor has been change 3 times horrible car. Please do not waste your money on this trash!Get Honda or Toyota.. Trust me!

Favorite Features

interior is very big and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

ABS sensor, oil pan gasket, window motors, transmission

Great Value So Far
By aarondl

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car almost two years ago with 82k miles on it. Now we are at 100k and not had any serious problems with it. We had to have work done on front brakes soon after we bought it (probably previous owners fault) and then cat conv went down which was expensive. CEL still on because of O2 sensor or something - we don't notice any problems. Car is super comfortable and large inside and in the trunk. We love the exterior design. Engine has been reliable and has great balance of performance and mileage. Great car for trips. Ride is smooth, comfortable, and sturdy.

Favorite Features

Room, comfort, stereo, design, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Lose the wood trim on the interior and fix the cat converter problem, I'm not the only one.

Disappointed
By PS

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We had to make a fast purchase after our van was totaled. The car felt solid, tranny, engine, and suspension. Bought it with 110K now 8 months later has 118k, so far have replaced windshield (all pitted), battery, intake gasket. Headlight switch is bad (lights go out on whim, brights won't stay on), engine light is on, drivers window is stuck open, all door gaskets are torn when bought it. Hub cap paint is peeling off. So disappointing. Never have we put so much into a vehicle. I thought I'd like a new Impala for my next vehicle, but not now anymore.

Favorite Features

Love the body style, rides just beautiful, has a good, solid feel to drive. Gets 30 mpg hwy.

Suggested Improvements

Stop using cheap parts! Chevy should stand for quality. I don't think I want another Chevy. This is so sad.