2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
A quality car that is worth the $$
By ChargerLT21 on 04/22/09 20:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. It is very reliable and it sounds great too. I love cruising with the sunroof open, and the heated leather seats are great in the winter months. As far as gas goes, it is respectable. A quality car all around. It looks good from the outside as well.

DO NOT BUY THESE IMPALAS
By upset on 04/12/09 19:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car back in 2003 with only 18k now it has 104k and the transmission is about to go out, security light has been on for 2 years now, problems with oil pan gasket, leaking antifreeze, oil. The Chevy dealership couldn't program the remote control to the car! (couldn't believe it) abs sensor has been change 3 times horrible car. Please do not waste your money on this trash!Get Honda or Toyota.. Trust me!

Great Value So Far
By aarondl on 03/27/09 14:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car almost two years ago with 82k miles on it. Now we are at 100k and not had any serious problems with it. We had to have work done on front brakes soon after we bought it (probably previous owners fault) and then cat conv went down which was expensive. CEL still on because of O2 sensor or something - we don't notice any problems. Car is super comfortable and large inside and in the trunk. We love the exterior design. Engine has been reliable and has great balance of performance and mileage. Great car for trips. Ride is smooth, comfortable, and sturdy.

Disappointed
By PS on 02/20/09 17:52 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We had to make a fast purchase after our van was totaled. The car felt solid, tranny, engine, and suspension. Bought it with 110K now 8 months later has 118k, so far have replaced windshield (all pitted), battery, intake gasket. Headlight switch is bad (lights go out on whim, brights won't stay on), engine light is on, drivers window is stuck open, all door gaskets are torn when bought it. Hub cap paint is peeling off. So disappointing. Never have we put so much into a vehicle. I thought I'd like a new Impala for my next vehicle, but not now anymore.

One Owner
By boom on 02/13/09 10:06 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

28 to 30 mpg to work and home regularly. 31 mpg highway. No major problems since purchased at 12 miles now has 90,000 miles.

My new Ol' Reliable
By Vetmom on 01/27/09 11:53 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a demo model. I am the original owner and have had all the recommended maintenance done on it. This car still gets me 27MPG around town and almost 30 MPG on the interstate. I am 5'10" and I can set the driver seat where I want it, sit in the back seat and still have plenty of room.

Put to rest
By PK in CA on 01/15/09 14:05 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the LS new. After 140,000 the cat converter died. There were mechanical problems that seemed more frequent then I would have hoped. Good overall considering all the stop & go of Los Angeles. Brakes and tires performed well. Replaced battery after 5 years, spark plug wires needed replacing. No transmission problems, no electric motor problems.

Tranny done
By Lindsay on 12/15/08 09:13 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Impala in 2006 with 48k miles. In 2007 I began driving 120 miles a day for work and now it has plenty of highway miles. I've replaced my struts, my driver side mirror is wobbly, replaced my headlights due to moisture in the lamps, the seal on the door leaks in the lightest of rain, I have recently found that my tranny is going out at 135k miles. Very disappointed. Thought I could drive this well into the 160k mile range. It's a Chevy for crying out loud! My husband is trying to talk me into another Impala, I read the reviews- I may being turning to Toyota....but not a Ford at least.

Too Many Problems, Too Soon
By BigEl on 08/20/08 07:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Let's see. I bought this car at 35K, 2 years later I have 66K. I have had to change the cat converter, the entire rear brake system and now at only 66K, I am being told that I have to have my transmission rebuilt. It's making this big noise as if I'm driving a truck. And to top it off, the amp or the radio went so I have no music. also, my power window switch needs replacing. Shouldn't have these problems with a car that is 6 years old with me being the 3rd driver of this vehicle since manufactured; and the 2nd guy only had it for a year. No more American cars for me. Too busy skimping on quality parts to make us spend more money instead of making a long-lasting, reliable vehicle.

02 Chevy
By Karen on 07/30/08 10:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car brand new and was very reliable until I hit around 40k. Now it stalls out every other day and I have had to fix the engine almost three times. All kinds of creaks and rattles that are very annoying while driving in the car.