Used 2002 Chevrolet Impala Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Awful
By gdb85

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I think I was particularly unlucky with the car I got, but this was the worst car I ever owned. In the 7 years I had it, I spent over $4,000 on major repairs, most of which came in the course of one year. By the end, it had rusted so badly that the fuel filter was rusted in place and mechanics couldn't put it on a lift because underside components were so corroded that they crushed. I didn't feel like I could leave town. The turn signal worked only intermittently for the last six months I owned it. I was so tired of dumping money into it that I just stopped making repairs.

It was at least a comfortable riding car and there was lots of room for passengers. The engine was powerful enough, when it worked.

Better quality workmanship so that owners don't have to spend thousands of dollars on major repairs.

Gasket Trouble
By Gasket Trouble

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Tons of interior and trunk space, especially rear seat "leg room" which is perfect for child seats. Replaced head gasket at 72,000 miles and cat-converter at 82,000. The clogged cat was a symptom of the prior gasket failure. This is the 3rd GM 3.4L V6 I have owned, head gasket went in all 3, poor engine design. Get the LS with the 3.8L and you'll be just fine. Crossing fingers that repairs over $1,200 are done with for a while.

Rear seat "leg room" great for child seats, and huge trunk.

Bad gaskets and engine design in 3.4L, front seat contour does not promote good posture, go with bucket seats and 3.8L engine.

Good sedan for nearly any usage.
By rsb90

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for almost two years now. It was my father's car and he had purchased it new and neither him nor myself have had too much trouble with it. It's had one new battery, I recently had a tune up for it and put new brakes on it. It always has been good for trips and for having more people riding with me. I bought it with 80k miles on it and now it has 120k and I think it will last another 120k!

The power outlet next to the ashtray and cigarette lighter, convenient to plug in my ipod adapter. The cruise control and climate features are also really good.

Maybe use better quality parts for some stuff, the interior of my driver door is starting to tear apart.

When does it end
By Disgruntled

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The Impala is not fit because it has too many problems. It is good on gas and the ride is alright on the highway for long trips but. Not recognizing the key therefore the car won't start and having to the wait for the computer to shut down 12-15 mins is not right. Approx $1100 to fix, then intake manifold gasket leaking which the coolant can eventually leak into the eng $1000, brakes never seem to be good, fix at dealer with minimal cost but eventually did a whole new brake job, muffler pipe has a crack, lower control arm bushings left and right needs to be replaced, now head gasket dealer $2200, private shop $1400 and eng rebuilt at priv shop $2400. I only have $155k when does it end.

old cop car
By don

2002 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 162,000 kms on it. It now has pushing 300,000 kms. This car corners like a sports car, brakes as good or better than most on the road. And you got remember it was used and abused by the ont Canada o. P. P. This car will bury the speedo with no hesitation. Its been to Florida with me 3 times from Ontario. I've put a battery and 2 front wheel bearings, and a set of control arm bushing in it. I change the tranny oil and filter every spring. I probly drive it harder the the police did! I love it even tho its a plain Jane. From the lights this car surprise

engine transmission comfort seats cloth handling looks 225-60 16 tires ultra grip

front wheel bearings