2002 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Gasket Trouble
By Gasket Trouble on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Tons of interior and trunk space, especially rear seat "leg room" which is perfect for child seats. Replaced head gasket at 72,000 miles and cat-converter at 82,000. The clogged cat was a symptom of the prior gasket failure. This is the 3rd GM 3.4L V6 I have owned, head gasket went in all 3, poor engine design. Get the LS with the 3.8L and you'll be just fine. Crossing fingers that repairs over $1,200 are done with for a while.

Good sedan for nearly any usage.
By rsb90 on 07/24/10 13:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for almost two years now. It was my father's car and he had purchased it new and neither him nor myself have had too much trouble with it. It's had one new battery, I recently had a tune up for it and put new brakes on it. It always has been good for trips and for having more people riding with me. I bought it with 80k miles on it and now it has 120k and I think it will last another 120k!

When does it end
By Disgruntled on 03/25/10 07:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The Impala is not fit because it has too many problems. It is good on gas and the ride is alright on the highway for long trips but. Not recognizing the key therefore the car won't start and having to the wait for the computer to shut down 12-15 mins is not right. Approx $1100 to fix, then intake manifold gasket leaking which the coolant can eventually leak into the eng $1000, brakes never seem to be good, fix at dealer with minimal cost but eventually did a whole new brake job, muffler pipe has a crack, lower control arm bushings left and right needs to be replaced, now head gasket dealer $2200, private shop $1400 and eng rebuilt at priv shop $2400. I only have $155k when does it end.

old cop car
By don on 03/15/10 11:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 162,000 kms on it. It now has pushing 300,000 kms. This car corners like a sports car, brakes as good or better than most on the road. And you got remember it was used and abused by the ont Canada o. P. P. This car will bury the speedo with no hesitation. Its been to Florida with me 3 times from Ontario. I've put a battery and 2 front wheel bearings, and a set of control arm bushing in it. I change the tranny oil and filter every spring. I probly drive it harder the the police did! I love it even tho its a plain Jane. From the lights this car surprise

Don't Waste Your Money
By CLH on 02/12/10 06:20 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new off the lot. It was great at first. The 1st year the entire steering column had to be replaced - it locked up and I could not move it. Once I hit 100,000 - I had to replace the intake gasket, head gasket, bearings, window motor, and fuel pump. I also had to replace the brakes numerous times. Interior design not good - kept finding screws inside the car on the floor. Even my mechanic said that the 3.4 liter engine was not good & all his customers with this car had the same problems.

sorry chevy
By sammckenzie on 01/07/10 12:28 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had nothing but trouble every since I bought this car, with security system, service traction system window motor broke, cat converter had to be replaced at 60000 and roars when turning right, security system leaves me stuck at places for 15 min.In my book this is the sorriest car I have ever bought, they should recall all and destroy them!

Overall Great Car
By Old Reliable on 12/29/09 18:48 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this car since 2002. It was my company car then and I bought it about three years later. I now have 207,000 on the odometer and my family has named this car "Old Reliable". The mileage is great, the comfort is very good and I have had only a few problems with the car. The catalytic converter was replaced under warranty at 80K. No problems since then with the catalytic converter. I had the intake replaced along with the water pump around 120K. I am still on the original transmission. I can feel some wear in the transmission but it does have over 200k, so that is to be expected. I think she might last another 100K!

Overall Great Car
By Old Reliable on 12/29/09 18:48 PM (PST)

Great Value So Far
By aarondl on 03/27/09 14:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car almost two years ago with 82k miles on it. Now we are at 100k and not had any serious problems with it. We had to have work done on front brakes soon after we bought it (probably previous owners fault) and then cat conv went down which was expensive. CEL still on because of O2 sensor or something - we don't notice any problems. Car is super comfortable and large inside and in the trunk. We love the exterior design. Engine has been reliable and has great balance of performance and mileage. Great car for trips. Ride is smooth, comfortable, and sturdy.

Disappointed
By PS on 02/20/09 17:52 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We had to make a fast purchase after our van was totaled. The car felt solid, tranny, engine, and suspension. Bought it with 110K now 8 months later has 118k, so far have replaced windshield (all pitted), battery, intake gasket. Headlight switch is bad (lights go out on whim, brights won't stay on), engine light is on, drivers window is stuck open, all door gaskets are torn when bought it. Hub cap paint is peeling off. So disappointing. Never have we put so much into a vehicle. I thought I'd like a new Impala for my next vehicle, but not now anymore.

1 2 3 4 5 next »