Old Faithful
By extreme commuter on
2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)
I bought my fully loaded Impala LS from friends at 3 years and 28,000 miles. I put 214000 miles on it in 5.5 years. It was a great car and never let me down. I had some of the same issues as others with brakes, catalytic conv., rack and pinion and recently with sensors (low coolant), but the problems were infrequent. I donated the car this week at 242000 and it was still going strong. (Although I suspect that the tranny was on the way out...) I put some money in over time, but not lots, and the car served me well. Heck, the fuel economy went up from a steady 28 to 30mpg after 150,000 mi. How many cars can make that claim? I have owned many excellent GM autos, and this is certainly among them!
Favorite Features
I really appreciated the stereo controls on the steering wheel, The air conditioning that was ice cold even on the hottest days, and the seats which were quite comfortable even for long stretches. I especially loved OnStar and that faithful 3.8 V6!
Suggested Improvements
I would've liked improved brakes - especially in front, a better radio with no antenna in the glass, better rack in the steering, and heavier duty suspension components.