Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Drive till it's dead
By Scott

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Being military we drive these vehicles as police patrol cars. So I know first hand these cars can take a beating because we drive them 24/7, 20- 25K miles ayear. When I had the opprotunity I brought an Impala. I try to tune up all my used cars as soon as I get them, but had no chance. So after two weeks, one of the plug wires went out so I had the whole set replaced (plus sparkplugs). She runs great now, lots of leg room, put 18 inch rims and tires on. Went on a 9 hour driving trip, solid car inside and out, looks great. I had a '03 525I and drove it to Southern Bavria, wish I had this car instead, my lower back would have appreciated it.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, drives great. Nice and quiet

Suggested Improvements

Brake and rotors quality (known problem, but with upgraded after market parts will fix this-long term). Ignition issues (another problem) All are easy to fix, if caught earily.

2001 chevy impala
By laura

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

battery light continuously come on, changed the battery and it still comes on. service light comes on after bringing it into the shop. car bucks to the point where the cars about to break down, and is undrivable. dashboard lights dim. hesitated start.

Favorite Features

the room in the car, the visibility, the sunroof, and the body size

Suggested Improvements

electrical system

Great Performance
By scottxwinston

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car! It Rides smoother than my Grandmother's 2002 Cadillac Deville. It's very roomy and fun to drive. I feel very safe in this car. It also gets better gas mileage than previous 4 cyl car did. My Impala has almost 170,000 miles on it and it's still running great. The 3400 V6 engine is like a tank!

Favorite Features

Crystal Clear Stock Speakers, Tinted Windows, Plush Seating, Spacious Interior & Trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of.

It's a Tank
By beemorsch

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has seen HELL from just from my sister and I driving it alone (after three others). Even though I haven't been in any accidents with it (although I've come pretty close), my sister has gone through 3/4 pretty bad doozies, yet with just a bit of fixing up, it's still running. That said, my gas gauge doesn't work, the drivers side heated seat is shot, my radio drains the battery when connected (wiring issue) and a few other things are in need of repair. This being my first car, the length was intimidating after learning to drive in a mini, but I always loved it and have always called it my tank, because it's seen so many things and gone through "war."

Suggested Improvements

There are a few big blind spots when it comes to the windshield.

Faithful Horse
By wyddon

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I know many had problems with the 2000 - 2004 - engine cradle, brakes, windshield leak to mention a few. Traded mine in with 109,000 miles, slight hail damage, LOUD Front End Bearing Noise between 40 and 70, along with sensor failures. It just got old. It was a good car until the sensors started wear out. Got low 20 around town and upper 20's on the Interstate for gas mileage. Bladder full before gas gauge screams for attention. Styling was not too dated, always comfortable. Always knew the electric bells and whistles would be the end of the car. Front Air Dam was shot too. Engine temp slowly increased as the the Dam deterioated. Used extended warranty, paid for itself.

Favorite Features

Integrated entertainment and vehicle info system. Well laid out instrument cluster. Excellent and responsive powertrain and suspension. A REAL old school trunk! Lots of room. Liked the Compass, Air Temp, Gas mileage info above center windshield

Suggested Improvements

Front Air Dam drags and impacts easily.