2001 Chevrolet Impala Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2001 Impala Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Sort Reviews by

Never Again
By FW

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Console displays occasionally do not light up. Dealer never could find problem. Remote entry system stopped working. Was out of warranty, cost about $600 to fix. Shortly thereafter car would not start. When ignition key was turned there was absolutely no response. If you messed with the shift lever and ignition key for a while it would finally start. Another $600 to replace ignition switch and some sensors. Traction control light comes on for no reason. Dealer can't find cause. Electrical/computer system very unreliable. Lots of road noise, very poor sound insulation. Just traded it in for a Ford. I'm done with GM.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage for a full size car.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable electrical/computer system needed. Better sound insulation.

What's it worth?
By sherian carter

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the best car I have ever owned. I purchased it after totaling a Buick LeSabre because of the sturdy structure of the car. Gas mileage has been excellent. The only problem I've had was a transmission that was covered by the warranty. I've received compliments on the car over and over again even being 5 years old. If I could replace it I would like to have the same car again.

Favorite Features

Power seats, cruse control, CD player, body style

Suggested Improvements

I don't know how you could improve on this car.

I'd buy another
By Chris

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The only problems with the '01 LS were related to a set of bad tires. She runs nicely, adequate power even as she approaches 100K miles. Lots of room on the interior and big trunk make it a nice family vehicle. If I were going to buy another American car, I would definitely go with another Impala.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel controls

It's a Chevy
By Chevy for my Baby

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used for my wife when it had 60,000 miles on it, now has about 85K. It's been a decent car, a good road car. Had to replace spark plugs at 62K, catalytic converter at 65K (under warranty). Problems include intermittently working turn signals, squeaky suspension, motor on drivers' power window switch about to go out. Steering feels too light, car doesn't feel very substantial for it's size. My biggest gripe is that the car can't make it up a moderate grade without downshifting, which gets tiring on long trips. My 4 cylinder '89 Acura makes it up without so much as a hesitation.

Favorite Features

Standard cruise. Comfy seats. Nice, sporty looks. Huge trunk (I can get in it and lie down with room to spare). Good gas mileage. Cold a/c.

Suggested Improvements

Add another gear to the tranny or make the 3.8 standard. Add a CD player to the basic AM/FM radio and better antenna. Redesign the electrical system (blinkers shouldn't not work and power window motor shouldn't be going bad at such low mileage). Nicer standard rims, no cheap wheel covers.

Big Disappointment
By Karen

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Since I bought this car is 2002 I havn't had anything but trouble. The vent/air/heat has never worked on low setting. The check engine light stays on all the time. When this happens, the air doesn't work. I've had this check out several times and no one can figure what is wrong. The catalytic coverter went out while under extended warranty while I was out of town. When I requested that the dealer I bought from pay for repair they refused. GM did refund my money for the repairs but not the rental I had to get. All I want to do is drive this car thru the windows of the dealership and leave it there.

Favorite Features

How can you have a favorite when your always wondering if your going to be walking in minute. I do like the body style and size. I would love to have a new Impala but never would I take the chance that I'd get another lemon and GM will not stand behind their work.

Suggested Improvements

Repair car at no cost to me. Of course, when I would take in for repair they would never find anything wrong.

AK
By ak

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I first looked at it and drove it at the dealership I thought it would be perfect for my first car. Then I took it home and started driving it and find that my fuel guage doesn't work, I have a computer problem, and my sway bar is going out!

Favorite Features

I like the way it drives and handles the road!

Suggested Improvements

Computer, fuel tank, and steering!

Excellent family car
By puppy

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2001 impala from a private party at 75,000 mile for $6100. It feels like new. Has a quiet engine, stable and comfortable highway driving. It's much better than Camry or Accord ifor this price.

Favorite Features

Comfortable highway driving. Roomy interior, sexy exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Under wheel gearshift is not so easy to operate. It is easy to slide from D to R while I try to change from D to OD while driving, which is very dangerous.

So So
By Impala7

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My thoughts on this car after having it for 4 years is it's so so. The brake/rotor system is cheesy. Maybe it was built for the Cavalier. The car is noisy on accelerating. Not inpressed with the flooring under the carpet. There's not much pickup when entering a highway or passing. The radio antenna in the window makes for lousy reception on stations 50 miles away. The opening of the trunk for putting things in is too small.

Favorite Features

Rides OK at highway speeds.Good gas mileage. OK trunk space

Suggested Improvements

More vertical back window so you can have a bigger opening in trunk. Outside antenna. Better braking system.

Fix it before the warranty expires.
By Medic274

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

When I heard that Chevy was bringing back the Impala,I was excited. Went right out and bought one without researching it. I got stuck with a 2001 model that had just about every problem mentioned on all the forums. I had to get the brake rotors turned at 12K! Again at 20K. I should have insisted on the manufacturer's recommended fix of replacing the rotors with aftermarket hi-performance rotors. The steering column clunked. My dealer "fixed" it by injecting grease into the joint boots. That lasted about 2 weeks. The ride was stiff and noisy. Good points? Seating was comfortable, and the 3.4L engine ran flawlessly.

Favorite Features

Seating was comfortable, even for tall people like me. Back seat has most legroom I have seen. The engine was powerful and ran smoothly, never a problem. I opted for the premium sound system with RDS, love that feature.

Suggested Improvements

Stop with the cheap brake components. Instruct your dealer's service centers to actually fix the customers' cars using manufacturer's recommendations, instead of half-hearted "mickey mouse" fixes. They lost a customer here due to poor customer care.

Best Buy For Your Money
By n2914mr

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had a very good experience with this vehicle in the year that I have owned it. The Impala is large enough to accommodate a family, but not too big. Acceleration is good, fuel economy is excellent and overall I would buy this car again. Brake/rotor wear is the only major issue I have had. This car is often compared to Honda/Toyota, yet unfairly dismissed for GM's past quality issues. I have owned both Honda and Toyota and when cost is a factor in your decision you will find the Impala a much better buy for your dollar. GM has made leaps and bounds in closing the QC gap it has faced against its Japanese counterparts. You will be impressed with the caliber of this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage for a sedan of this size(24city/32hwy). Appealing exterior, roomy interior, dual and curtain-side airbags, comfortable ride. Lots of trunk space- the rear seats fold down for oversized cargo. On-Star equipped.

Suggested Improvements

Position of the coffee/cup holders should be redesigned so your arm is not bumping into your drink. Brake/rotor quality needs improved. Heater/AC blower controls need improvement. Heated mirrors should be standard equipment.