2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Don't waste your money!
By smcclain on 11/27/07 11:27 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new and have had nothing but problems with the wheel bearings, breaks, keyless entry, starter/ignition, cat converter (3x), turn signals, power window switch (2x), engine seals replaced (2x), fuel gauge, emergency flasher switch, low coolant sensor (2x), and the list could go on...

A piece of a clunker
By steve may on 11/22/07 01:03 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is a piece of junk. Had a $3200 transmission and manifold gasket repair, had to replace two sensors for the idle for $180 and also had to have this vehicle completely grounded again to fix the temp gauge/ac not working issue...$160 Rattles like crazy, handling stinks!

Would buy another one
By Far North on 09/13/07 07:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car in 2005 with about 100,000. Have 133,000 on it now. Haven't any major problems. Gets great gas mileage for a large sedan and the motor runs smooth. Lots of room for a tall guy. Only complaints are some funky electrical problems. The turn signals work intermittently and the power window switches had to be replaced.

My tranny
By walkhud on 08/01/07 10:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car at 188,000km. It had a new transmission 1 year before we purchased it so we thought we were safe despite the mileage. Transmission went within 1,000km. They said there was a problem with a heater that warms the transmission fluid and that killed 2 transmissions ($2500 CDN to fix). New battery ($200). Oil in our coolant led to a new radiator ($800 CDN to fix). Now we have oil in our coolant again 2 months later...we'll wait and see now. By the way, we've only driven 5,000km! That's $0.70/km not counting car payments/insurance/gas.

Junk
By alan on 06/30/07 06:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because of the low gas mileage for this size car. It is a comfortable 6 passenger car. But you never know when you may have to walk. The 3.4 has defective intake gaskets which I have replaced. The signal light blinkers are defective. The brake rotors are defective. I have another problem with engine misfire now. This car is the most unreliable car I have ever owned.

Run Far Far Away!
By Piece of Junk on 01/29/07 18:39 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've only put 24k miles on this car and have had to replace brakes and rotors twice. Thermostat twice, the temp gauge keeps going out and when that happens the air/heat doesn't work properly. New exhaust system only to find out it was recalled and gm only reimbursed me 60% of the cost. Rattles between 55-65. Performance is horrible. Gas mileage is nowhere near what GM claims. And this week the transmission just went out. I am buying Japanese from now on. This car is completely unreliable and I would recommend you not even test drive it. I now have so much negative equity that I have to buy a much more expensive car to carry it.

Great Car for the money.
By Eddie Davis on 12/24/06 13:02 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We have a 2001 Impala LS with the 3.8 V6. It's a great engine. Very peppy for the hills in Tennessee we drive on. The sound system is very high quality other than a speaker rattle in the front passenger door. The only downfall to this car is the turn signals. They only work when they want to and the dealership is no help. They want to charge upwards of $500 to fix something that should be recalled by GM since I know of at least 10 other Impala and Monte Carlo owners with the same problem.The radio also goes out when you turn on the rear defroster. But other than that we've had no problems with our Green Ghost. It's the only high quality vehicle GM has left.

Watch out for the tranny!
By PorscheMom on 09/01/06 12:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used w/ 26K on the odometer. I do a lot of driving, now has 65K on it. Overall, it's been a decent purchase considering the price (about $10K). Two major problems though. A bad fuel injector at 34K, and bad tranny at 38K. Both under warranty. Dealership was great about both repairs. Ride is a little rough if you are used to a larger sedan or wagon. Definitely not a road trip car. Front seats are a bit too contoured for my taste. Back seat has tons of space. Could easily fit 3 car seats, so don't discount it if you have kids. Huge trunk. Good fuel economy, attractive styling, better than the new ones, IMHO.

Buy Japanese
By buying Japenese on 08/07/06 15:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I saw this car I thought I would get a lot of bang for my buck. What I got was a drain on my wallet. I have put less than 15,000 miles on this car and already replaced exhaust system, transmission sensors and the problem is still not fixed. GM reimbursed me for the exhaust system but only about 60% of the bill and the trany problems are related to the catalytic problems I had but not covered by recall. This car has started to ride very rough and goes through brakes like crazy. Car also shakes and shimmys around 55- 60mph

Never Again
By FW on 02/21/06 23:55 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Console displays occasionally do not light up. Dealer never could find problem. Remote entry system stopped working. Was out of warranty, cost about $600 to fix. Shortly thereafter car would not start. When ignition key was turned there was absolutely no response. If you messed with the shift lever and ignition key for a while it would finally start. Another $600 to replace ignition switch and some sensors. Traction control light comes on for no reason. Dealer can't find cause. Electrical/computer system very unreliable. Lots of road noise, very poor sound insulation. Just traded it in for a Ford. I'm done with GM.