1st 165k were troublefree
By Eric on
2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)
Bought new as a company car, drove the 1st 165k no trouble except for 1 check engine for bad gas. Bought the car from my employer at ~80k; still driving it daily at 248k. It does eat front rotors; you get one turn, then replace 'em. I'm on the 3rd set on front. Most of what has gone wrong was mostly due to my failure to do maintenance, and due to operator abuse like overcranking the steering wheel or driving over a cinder brick on the interstate while clipping along at 80 mph (Yeah, I did that; not recommended). Problems coming fast now at 248k, but I'm not amazed. Time to get another Impala. Advice - Change transaxle fluid every 30,000 miles if you want max life on the trans
Favorite Features
Comfort. Great for long rides. Have driven 1,200 miles in a day and not have a sore back. Decent gas mileage considering this is a full size car. I still get about 28 mpg hwy, at 70 mph avg. Big trunk.
Suggested Improvements
GM: Beef up the brake rotors! Bring back the 3.4L, 180 hp engine or similar to improve economy. I'm looking at another Impala, but looks like I'd get worse economy than I'm getting.