Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Big Disappointment
By Karen

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Since I bought this car is 2002 I havn't had anything but trouble. The vent/air/heat has never worked on low setting. The check engine light stays on all the time. When this happens, the air doesn't work. I've had this check out several times and no one can figure what is wrong. The catalytic coverter went out while under extended warranty while I was out of town. When I requested that the dealer I bought from pay for repair they refused. GM did refund my money for the repairs but not the rental I had to get. All I want to do is drive this car thru the windows of the dealership and leave it there.

Favorite Features

How can you have a favorite when your always wondering if your going to be walking in minute. I do like the body style and size. I would love to have a new Impala but never would I take the chance that I'd get another lemon and GM will not stand behind their work.

Suggested Improvements

Repair car at no cost to me. Of course, when I would take in for repair they would never find anything wrong.

AK
By ak

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I first looked at it and drove it at the dealership I thought it would be perfect for my first car. Then I took it home and started driving it and find that my fuel guage doesn't work, I have a computer problem, and my sway bar is going out!

Favorite Features

I like the way it drives and handles the road!

Suggested Improvements

Computer, fuel tank, and steering!

Excellent family car
By puppy

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2001 impala from a private party at 75,000 mile for $6100. It feels like new. Has a quiet engine, stable and comfortable highway driving. It's much better than Camry or Accord ifor this price.

Favorite Features

Comfortable highway driving. Roomy interior, sexy exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Under wheel gearshift is not so easy to operate. It is easy to slide from D to R while I try to change from D to OD while driving, which is very dangerous.

So So
By Impala7

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My thoughts on this car after having it for 4 years is it's so so. The brake/rotor system is cheesy. Maybe it was built for the Cavalier. The car is noisy on accelerating. Not inpressed with the flooring under the carpet. There's not much pickup when entering a highway or passing. The radio antenna in the window makes for lousy reception on stations 50 miles away. The opening of the trunk for putting things in is too small.

Favorite Features

Rides OK at highway speeds.Good gas mileage. OK trunk space

Suggested Improvements

More vertical back window so you can have a bigger opening in trunk. Outside antenna. Better braking system.

Fix it before the warranty expires.
By Medic274

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

When I heard that Chevy was bringing back the Impala,I was excited. Went right out and bought one without researching it. I got stuck with a 2001 model that had just about every problem mentioned on all the forums. I had to get the brake rotors turned at 12K! Again at 20K. I should have insisted on the manufacturer's recommended fix of replacing the rotors with aftermarket hi-performance rotors. The steering column clunked. My dealer "fixed" it by injecting grease into the joint boots. That lasted about 2 weeks. The ride was stiff and noisy. Good points? Seating was comfortable, and the 3.4L engine ran flawlessly.

Favorite Features

Seating was comfortable, even for tall people like me. Back seat has most legroom I have seen. The engine was powerful and ran smoothly, never a problem. I opted for the premium sound system with RDS, love that feature.

Suggested Improvements

Stop with the cheap brake components. Instruct your dealer's service centers to actually fix the customers' cars using manufacturer's recommendations, instead of half-hearted "mickey mouse" fixes. They lost a customer here due to poor customer care.