Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Buy Japanese
By buying Japenese

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I saw this car I thought I would get a lot of bang for my buck. What I got was a drain on my wallet. I have put less than 15,000 miles on this car and already replaced exhaust system, transmission sensors and the problem is still not fixed. GM reimbursed me for the exhaust system but only about 60% of the bill and the trany problems are related to the catalytic problems I had but not covered by recall. This car has started to ride very rough and goes through brakes like crazy. Car also shakes and shimmys around 55- 60mph

This car is loaded with features, no doubt you get your money's worth. I love the steering wheel radio controls, the sunroof, heated leather seats, OnStar

Make it ride a little better and improve on the reliablity. At least pay for repairs caused by recall.

Never Again
By FW

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Console displays occasionally do not light up. Dealer never could find problem. Remote entry system stopped working. Was out of warranty, cost about $600 to fix. Shortly thereafter car would not start. When ignition key was turned there was absolutely no response. If you messed with the shift lever and ignition key for a while it would finally start. Another $600 to replace ignition switch and some sensors. Traction control light comes on for no reason. Dealer can't find cause. Electrical/computer system very unreliable. Lots of road noise, very poor sound insulation. Just traded it in for a Ford. I'm done with GM.

Good gas mileage for a full size car.

More reliable electrical/computer system needed. Better sound insulation.

What's it worth?
By sherian carter

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the best car I have ever owned. I purchased it after totaling a Buick LeSabre because of the sturdy structure of the car. Gas mileage has been excellent. The only problem I've had was a transmission that was covered by the warranty. I've received compliments on the car over and over again even being 5 years old. If I could replace it I would like to have the same car again.

Power seats, cruse control, CD player, body style

I don't know how you could improve on this car.

I'd buy another
By Chris

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The only problems with the '01 LS were related to a set of bad tires. She runs nicely, adequate power even as she approaches 100K miles. Lots of room on the interior and big trunk make it a nice family vehicle. If I were going to buy another American car, I would definitely go with another Impala.

Steering wheel controls

It's a Chevy
By Chevy for my Baby

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used for my wife when it had 60,000 miles on it, now has about 85K. It's been a decent car, a good road car. Had to replace spark plugs at 62K, catalytic converter at 65K (under warranty). Problems include intermittently working turn signals, squeaky suspension, motor on drivers' power window switch about to go out. Steering feels too light, car doesn't feel very substantial for it's size. My biggest gripe is that the car can't make it up a moderate grade without downshifting, which gets tiring on long trips. My 4 cylinder '89 Acura makes it up without so much as a hesitation.

Standard cruise. Comfy seats. Nice, sporty looks. Huge trunk (I can get in it and lie down with room to spare). Good gas mileage. Cold a/c.

Add another gear to the tranny or make the 3.8 standard. Add a CD player to the basic AM/FM radio and better antenna. Redesign the electrical system (blinkers shouldn't not work and power window motor shouldn't be going bad at such low mileage). Nicer standard rims, no cheap wheel covers.