Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Most Helpful|
Junk
By Impala Hater

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We've had our Impala for 41,000 miles and I wish I had seen this site and others earlier. Our Impala already has had the AC Pump replaced and just recently the damn ignition cylinder locked on us!!!! There is no way that an ignition cylinder should go bad... ever... unless someone tried to break inot the car. GM needs to have a better warranty plan to cover parts and labor on items that really shouldn't break down. If something else happens to us, I think I'll take the advise of one of the angry people here and look up the Ohio Lemon Laws. Bottom line...if you get a Chevy, GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!!! Or better yet, get a Toyota or Honda!

Favorite Features

I'm 6'6 275, so the room was the best feature. Most Asians are a lot shorter than I, so I have a hard time finding the right car for the right price.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better car... Write a better warranty

Money PIT!!!!!!
By drsmilzel

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my impala since 04 I bought it used with 60,000 miles on it. I have replaced the motor once, tranny once, and the power steering went 2 times and that was withing the first 2 years under the warrenty as well as the ABS and traction control sensors in the hubs are a pain they go every 2 years if not more often. Now after the warrenty is up I will say this thing has sucked more money out of me then if I had children! I find my self replacing the power steering pump constantly and the high presure line and the rack and pinion. The gas gauge doesnt work cause the level sensor in the sending unit is frozen and they want 300 for the whole unit cause you can't get just the level sensor.

Favorite Features

I like the leather seats and its comfortable and roomy. I think I should cut it up and make man couches out of it for my garage. seriously don't ever buy this car! unless you want something to throw money at. In that case just give it to me.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to hire new engineers or buy better products. The power steering pump is on the bottom of the engine in the back against the firewall. I burn myself trying to fill it when I am tring to drive and lose steering. Really Chevy in general needs to stop selling these cars and fix the problems. everybody I know that has this car has alot of the same problems. Oh and I was a Chevy Guy and still am when it comes to older camaros and corvettes ect. but I will never buy a newer car from them EVER. Honda is the way to go 300,000 miles and still run and probably without and oil change HAHA. go luck if you have this car.

Poor reliability
By Ltolch

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has had coolant problems, two transmission rebuilds and warped rotors; all within two years and 38,000 miles of easy city and highway driving.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability!

Run Far Far Away!
By Piece of Junk

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've only put 24k miles on this car and have had to replace brakes and rotors twice. Thermostat twice, the temp gauge keeps going out and when that happens the air/heat doesn't work properly. New exhaust system only to find out it was recalled and gm only reimbursed me 60% of the cost. Rattles between 55-65. Performance is horrible. Gas mileage is nowhere near what GM claims. And this week the transmission just went out. I am buying Japanese from now on. This car is completely unreliable and I would recommend you not even test drive it. I now have so much negative equity that I have to buy a much more expensive car to carry it.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel audio controls, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap this car! Recall to all owners. Burn it, run it off a cliff. You can't improve upon junk!

Lemon
By Jh1969

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My 2001 impala has given me nothing but trouble. Thank god for extended warranties. Too many problems to list

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Rebuild and redesign