Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

My tranny
By walkhud

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car at 188,000km. It had a new transmission 1 year before we purchased it so we thought we were safe despite the mileage. Transmission went within 1,000km. They said there was a problem with a heater that warms the transmission fluid and that killed 2 transmissions ($2500 CDN to fix). New battery ($200). Oil in our coolant led to a new radiator ($800 CDN to fix). Now we have oil in our coolant again 2 months later...we'll wait and see now. By the way, we've only driven 5,000km! That's $0.70/km not counting car payments/insurance/gas.

Favorite Features

Interior and trunk space. Nice looking car. Great to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability.

Junk
By alan

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because of the low gas mileage for this size car. It is a comfortable 6 passenger car. But you never know when you may have to walk. The 3.4 has defective intake gaskets which I have replaced. The signal light blinkers are defective. The brake rotors are defective. I have another problem with engine misfire now. This car is the most unreliable car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Roomy, comfort, style, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better quaility, reliability

Run Far Far Away!
By Piece of Junk

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've only put 24k miles on this car and have had to replace brakes and rotors twice. Thermostat twice, the temp gauge keeps going out and when that happens the air/heat doesn't work properly. New exhaust system only to find out it was recalled and gm only reimbursed me 60% of the cost. Rattles between 55-65. Performance is horrible. Gas mileage is nowhere near what GM claims. And this week the transmission just went out. I am buying Japanese from now on. This car is completely unreliable and I would recommend you not even test drive it. I now have so much negative equity that I have to buy a much more expensive car to carry it.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel audio controls, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap this car! Recall to all owners. Burn it, run it off a cliff. You can't improve upon junk!

Great Car for the money.
By Eddie Davis

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We have a 2001 Impala LS with the 3.8 V6. It's a great engine. Very peppy for the hills in Tennessee we drive on. The sound system is very high quality other than a speaker rattle in the front passenger door. The only downfall to this car is the turn signals. They only work when they want to and the dealership is no help. They want to charge upwards of $500 to fix something that should be recalled by GM since I know of at least 10 other Impala and Monte Carlo owners with the same problem.The radio also goes out when you turn on the rear defroster. But other than that we've had no problems with our Green Ghost. It's the only high quality vehicle GM has left.

Favorite Features

The handling is totally awsome. Eats up curvy roads for breakfast. Seats are comfortable and the gas mileage is outstanding for a car of its size.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical system. The blinkers and hazard lights are a nightmare when the they don't work in interstate traffic. I've gotten 3 tickets for failure to signal.

Watch out for the tranny!
By PorscheMom

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used w/ 26K on the odometer. I do a lot of driving, now has 65K on it. Overall, it's been a decent purchase considering the price (about $10K). Two major problems though. A bad fuel injector at 34K, and bad tranny at 38K. Both under warranty. Dealership was great about both repairs. Ride is a little rough if you are used to a larger sedan or wagon. Definitely not a road trip car. Front seats are a bit too contoured for my taste. Back seat has tons of space. Could easily fit 3 car seats, so don't discount it if you have kids. Huge trunk. Good fuel economy, attractive styling, better than the new ones, IMHO.

Favorite Features

Trunk space. Center console in back seat w/ cupholders. Plenty of leg room. Good acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are kind of spongy. Need to cut down on the road/engine/tranny noise inside the car.