2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Money PIT!!!!!!
By drsmilzel on 01/25/11 22:24 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my impala since 04 I bought it used with 60,000 miles on it. I have replaced the motor once, tranny once, and the power steering went 2 times and that was withing the first 2 years under the warrenty as well as the ABS and traction control sensors in the hubs are a pain they go every 2 years if not more often. Now after the warrenty is up I will say this thing has sucked more money out of me then if I had children! I find my self replacing the power steering pump constantly and the high presure line and the rack and pinion. The gas gauge doesnt work cause the level sensor in the sending unit is frozen and they want 300 for the whole unit cause you can't get just the level sensor.

Don't Want to Give Up My Impala
By Judy on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car new. Currently has 122,000 miles on it. Classy looking and very comfortable. This vehicle handles and rides like a dream even through I am hard on vehicles. I did have some issues with the electrical system during the first few months, but they were resolved. As others have noted, there is an issue with a knock in the steering & the gas float doesn't work anymore, but I work around it. Getting approx 28 mpg in rural driving situation. Husband is pushing for a new car, but I don't like the style of the new Impala's. Hate to see the "old girl" go. I'll probably go for an all wheel drive crossover this time since I can't find a sedan that gives me what I want.

love my car
By Diana on 08/02/10 14:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car the ride is great i have over 145,000 miles on my car and this week is the first time i have to replace axles this car has been good & would buy another. It's like anything if you take care of it, it will take care of you. do your maintenance, it make a difference.

Very Reliable
By James J on 04/18/10 19:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 6 years and have had no major problems. Expected minor repairs all done myself. Wheel bearings, water pump, power steering pump. All routine repairs as far as I'm concerned over the course of ten years. Car is very easy and cheap to work on. 155,000 miles on it and I'd take it anywhere. In fact i recently drove it from Phoenix to Ohio and back. No doubt it'll make it at least another 100,000 mi. Drive train is very durable. Also, some expected interior issues. 2 window regulators (phoenix heat and plastic gears don't mesh), hazard switch, bad window switch.Again, all routine and easy repairs. I never recommend buying a high mileage used chevy. Scheduled Maint. is a must.

2001 chevy impala
By laura on 03/23/10 16:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

battery light continuously come on, changed the battery and it still comes on. service light comes on after bringing it into the shop. car bucks to the point where the cars about to break down, and is undrivable. dashboard lights dim. hesitated start.

great car
By claimjumper on 01/22/10 05:59 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

bought this car used in 2002 with 22000 miles on it, has been best car i ever owned ,replaced intake gaskets at 90,000 miles other than reg maintenance no problems, use it as back up car for all the family now has 156,000 on it, still would take it anywhere.

Terrible Car
By Nancy on 09/19/09 07:07 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car about 5 months ago. Totally disappointed in vehicle. Gas gauge quit working, won't start half the time, gas mileage isn't near as good as they say it should be. All in all the car is terrible. I would love to get rid of it. Had a Chrysler before this and loved it, but had to get new car because Chrysler was wrecked. I won't advise anyone in buying this Chevy. It is a piece of JUNK!!!!!!!

WAS an Impala kid
By WAS an Impala kid on 08/21/09 21:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had loved the car. I wanted to buy another. THEN all the issues built up over the years. Do highway driving, garaged. The electrical system is very messed up in these cars. My temp gauge has not worked in years in the winter. Now it does not work when air temp is under 80 degrees.had wiring and sensors replaced and it still does not work. gas gauge now floats, directionals go out (mostly when humid), have a $900 oil leak. Under $100 for parts but $800 in labor to lift engine to get to. I also have the traction control and ABS issue. They go on when not needed and disble on their own. We like the new malibu (car of the year) but am so soured on Chevy.

Lemon!
By jenn76 on 01/26/09 10:18 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car 7 years ago. After the warranty ran out we have had nothing but trouble. We have had to replace the fuel pump, the transmission (before it ever reached 100,000 miles). At one point the car would shut off while I was driving it! Just recently, the engine basically exploded and set on fire. Our mechanic said it was due to a fuel leak that was running through the engine. I would never recommend this car! We have sunk over $5000 in it just for repairs. GM has offered no recalls for the problems we have had.

This is not a family sedan
By atmandjLS01 on 01/25/09 21:13 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just got this car 4 months ago and already I had to spend $600 replacing the oil pan gasket. Also, the owner before me had to replace a couple parts like the steering rack, as well, which cost him around 2 grand, parts+labor. It drives great, has plenty of power for freeway driving although electrical problems bring it down, like intermittent times where the turning signals dont work. For all its problems, it is still worth buying.