2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
It's a Tank
By beemorsch on 02/19/14 10:19 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has seen HELL from just from my sister and I driving it alone (after three others). Even though I haven't been in any accidents with it (although I've come pretty close), my sister has gone through 3/4 pretty bad doozies, yet with just a bit of fixing up, it's still running. That said, my gas gauge doesn't work, the drivers side heated seat is shot, my radio drains the battery when connected (wiring issue) and a few other things are in need of repair. This being my first car, the length was intimidating after learning to drive in a mini, but I always loved it and have always called it my tank, because it's seen so many things and gone through "war."

Love my Impala
By Kathy L on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 8 years. It's incredibly dependable and a comfortable car. I recommend purchasing an extended 100,000 warranty in case you do have any issues which I have had a few but the ext. warranty helped. Still gets 30 mpg on the highway. Only problem is the gas gauge doesn't work but I can live with that. I do service it yearly whether it needs it or not. A lot of times it's all about the maintenance!

Great Performance
By scottxwinston on 08/29/10 01:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car! It Rides smoother than my Grandmother's 2002 Cadillac Deville. It's very roomy and fun to drive. I feel very safe in this car. It also gets better gas mileage than previous 4 cyl car did. My Impala has almost 170,000 miles on it and it's still running great. The 3400 V6 engine is like a tank!

Bland
By TopGear on 08/12/10 08:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My grandma used to own this car, and it was pretty much un-driven. When her license was revoked, I took on the old Chevy as a second car to my Volvo XC90. I've got to say, as nice as it is to have the extra car around, this is a boring car. I find it's too easy to drive, and that the seats are made to be slouched in the whole time. Apart from the front, which has some good features, this is an ugly car. The steering wheels feels plasticy (because it is) and the shifter is unresponsive. This car does have decent handling, but not perfect, and decent power, but unresponsive. If you need an extra car, and don't care at all about cars, buy this - but if you're like me and like cars, forget it.

Constant lack of starting
By Brett on 07/24/10 13:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

From the get go the car was awesome. Then the lack of starting periodically. Some said the ignition/alarm but I searched the internet and found the problem to everyone's trouble was the 1) BCM (body control module) Chevy charge $350 reprogrammed a new one and solved that problem 2) Rotors. Solved that too. Ceramic brake pads. Keeps the rotors cooler on contact. 3) Rack and Pinion. Shot but works like a BMW. Can totally feel the road now. 4) Corners bad-solved with polyurethane bushings to the sway bar. Now the perfect family sedan. Corners like a police car/mileage like a small car. Buy a 2003 on for Onstar 90,000 mile 34 mpg consistently on the hwy. Still a great multi-duty vehicle

Can't afford it anymore.
By Broke on 06/20/10 10:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

In the 2 years I owned this car, I had to put in over $4300 in repairs. Power window regulators, Intake manifold gasket, struts, strut mounts, struts again, brakes twice, steering box/rack. Both rear door handles (exterior) broke off, one by my daughter. Not my best car ownership experience. GM man for 25 years. I give up, so now I drive a Nissan.

'01 Impala
By RD on 04/22/10 11:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new, now have 128K. Been a great car, lot of room interior and trunk. At 64K intake gasket $700, nothing else though. 32 MPG highway every time. Better then our mini SUV! 2X the room and ride! Mantiance is the key. Has the bumping in steering box since 70K but no issues. Looking for a new one!

Money Sucker
By impala7 on 04/17/10 18:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car 10 years. The big problem at first was rotors. Nothing but problems since day 1. Then it was gasket seal recall. Then it was electrical. Then at about 65,000 transmission. Now its u-joints and rattles in car like it's falling apart. The last few years its been in the shop a lot. Put over $6000 into it in last 24 months. Time to buy a different make. Been a Chevy guy all my life and bought 7 new cars. All had problems except the cavalier. Stuck very little in to them. Looking at Ford next.

Great Car
By brian on 12/28/09 16:18 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Would recommend this car for someone who wants sports car but has family very comfortable good on gas 3.4 performance ok but used to driving a camaro z28. Front end needs some rebuild after 120k but not as expensive as some may say cost about $400. most cars require some rebuild after 100k so dont complain normal wear and tear. Little oil leak just damp under oil pan who ever said 600. to replace is getting ripped off easy to change. Transmission shifts great run awesome getting ready to tune up for 100k tune-up great car dependable.

Best Purchase I ever made
By Jerry on 12/11/09 08:56 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Never have I had such a great car! Every other auto I have owned; Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota.. None have come close to the dependability and quality of my Impala. I'll drive this one til the wheels fall off! It's had it's share of incidents. Less than a month old the rear end was crushed (Drunk Driver hit us). It has hit two deer. Yet it keeps on chugging. Power/handling are just as good today as when we drove it off the lot 8yrs ago. Not to mention 151000 miles and still average over 30mpg! I'd buy another - but why!