Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Wonder Car. I wonder what will break next
By Oilmech

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, in very good condition and well maintained as a commuter for my wife. Within two years of of a 50 mile round trip commute on easy roads the transmission, alternator, air pump system, several solenoids, thermostat and several sensors failed at around 70,000 miles on the car. The latest issues is that the front bearing hubs are starting to fail. Thankfully, I can do most of the repairs myself or I would have needed a second mortgage on my home to pay for everything. While the car is comfortable and the heated seats are great in cold weather, I am sick of fixing it and am in the process of selling the car. Yes, it is an older car, but the failures are inexcusable on a car with relatively low mileage that has had good care. We have had several GM vehicles over the years, this one was by far the least reliable and most expensive to own. There will be no more GM vehicles in our garage.

I'll never buy a GM vehicle ever again
By Mark

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a money pit constant major repairs. And the recalls, I'm currently on a long list to get the recalls fixed, both of that may kill you. Handling? It handles like a boat..... Ok the positive's of the car, it's roomy and comfortable, it get's decent mpg for the size. Don't be fooled by my mileage 200k this is my 3rd engine and 2nd transmission in this lemon Among many smaller repairs. I don't mind repairs I understand eventually things go bad or maintance needs to be done, but when parts fail because they are poorly designed or cheaply made that's what makes me angry and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Faithful Horse
By wyddon

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I know many had problems with the 2000 - 2004 - engine cradle, brakes, windshield leak to mention a few. Traded mine in with 109,000 miles, slight hail damage, LOUD Front End Bearing Noise between 40 and 70, along with sensor failures. It just got old.
It was a good car until the sensors started wear out. Got low 20 around town and upper 20's on the Interstate for gas mileage. Bladder full before gas gauge screams for attention. Styling was not too dated, always comfortable.
Always knew the electric bells and whistles would be the end of the car.
Front Air Dam was shot too. Engine temp slowly increased as the the Dam deterioated.
Used extended warranty, paid for itself.

Integrated entertainment and vehicle info system. Well laid out instrument cluster. Excellent and responsive powertrain and suspension. A REAL old school trunk! Lots of room. Liked the Compass, Air Temp, Gas mileage info above center windshield

Front Air Dam drags and impacts easily.

Best car ever owned
By andybenz

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used back in 2009 and its the BEST car we ever owned. I have never ridden in a car that is SO smooth and Comfortable! and when you step on it. the car whooshes down the road. and I sit back enjoying the ride. We haven't had any issues with it. We have the LS trim so it looks so much attractive with the sporty look and the wheels and has a much bigger engine. We still have it with almost 200k miles and still runs like new except for the smoky smell after you really step on it after 150k miles. but thats just the grease. could happen to any car anyway

Extremely comfortable leather seats. The power

Doesn't have heated seats with it...when leather seats come with it could use heated seats with it aswell

It's a Tank
By beemorsch

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has seen HELL from just from my sister and I driving it alone (after three others). Even though I haven't been in any accidents with it (although I've come pretty close), my sister has gone through 3/4 pretty bad doozies, yet with just a bit of fixing up, it's still running.

That said, my gas gauge doesn't work, the drivers side heated seat is shot, my radio drains the battery when connected (wiring issue) and a few other things are in need of repair.

This being my first car, the length was intimidating after learning to drive in a mini, but I always loved it and have always called it my tank, because it's seen so many things and gone through "war."

There are a few big blind spots when it comes to the windshield.