Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Most Helpful|
Money PIT!!!!!!
By drsmilzel

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my impala since 04 I bought it used with 60,000 miles on it. I have replaced the motor once, tranny once, and the power steering went 2 times and that was withing the first 2 years under the warrenty as well as the ABS and traction control sensors in the hubs are a pain they go every 2 years if not more often. Now after the warrenty is up I will say this thing has sucked more money out of me then if I had children! I find my self replacing the power steering pump constantly and the high presure line and the rack and pinion. The gas gauge doesnt work cause the level sensor in the sending unit is frozen and they want 300 for the whole unit cause you can't get just the level sensor.

Favorite Features

I like the leather seats and its comfortable and roomy. I think I should cut it up and make man couches out of it for my garage. seriously don't ever buy this car! unless you want something to throw money at. In that case just give it to me.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to hire new engineers or buy better products. The power steering pump is on the bottom of the engine in the back against the firewall. I burn myself trying to fill it when I am tring to drive and lose steering. Really Chevy in general needs to stop selling these cars and fix the problems. everybody I know that has this car has alot of the same problems. Oh and I was a Chevy Guy and still am when it comes to older camaros and corvettes ect. but I will never buy a newer car from them EVER. Honda is the way to go 300,000 miles and still run and probably without and oil change HAHA. go luck if you have this car.

Faithful Horse
By wyddon

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I know many had problems with the 2000 - 2004 - engine cradle, brakes, windshield leak to mention a few. Traded mine in with 109,000 miles, slight hail damage, LOUD Front End Bearing Noise between 40 and 70, along with sensor failures. It just got old. It was a good car until the sensors started wear out. Got low 20 around town and upper 20's on the Interstate for gas mileage. Bladder full before gas gauge screams for attention. Styling was not too dated, always comfortable. Always knew the electric bells and whistles would be the end of the car. Front Air Dam was shot too. Engine temp slowly increased as the the Dam deterioated. Used extended warranty, paid for itself.

Favorite Features

Integrated entertainment and vehicle info system. Well laid out instrument cluster. Excellent and responsive powertrain and suspension. A REAL old school trunk! Lots of room. Liked the Compass, Air Temp, Gas mileage info above center windshield

Suggested Improvements

Front Air Dam drags and impacts easily.

love my car
By Diana

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car the ride is great i have over 145,000 miles on my car and this week is the first time i have to replace axles this car has been good & would buy another. It's like anything if you take care of it, it will take care of you. do your maintenance, it make a difference.

Favorite Features

The ride and i love my moon roof. this ride i have is loaded with all the goods leather. cd player

Suggested Improvements

my 3.8 is the top of the line so it could use heated seats but it cool just how it is

Best car ever owned
By andybenz

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used back in 2009 and its the BEST car we ever owned. I have never ridden in a car that is SO smooth and Comfortable! and when you step on it. the car whooshes down the road. and I sit back enjoying the ride. We haven't had any issues with it. We have the LS trim so it looks so much attractive with the sporty look and the wheels and has a much bigger engine. We still have it with almost 200k miles and still runs like new except for the smoky smell after you really step on it after 150k miles. but thats just the grease. could happen to any car anyway

Favorite Features

Extremely comfortable leather seats. The power

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't have heated seats with it...when leather seats come with it could use heated seats with it aswell

Don't Want to Give Up My Impala
By Judy

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car new. Currently has 122,000 miles on it. Classy looking and very comfortable. This vehicle handles and rides like a dream even through I am hard on vehicles. I did have some issues with the electrical system during the first few months, but they were resolved. As others have noted, there is an issue with a knock in the steering & the gas float doesn't work anymore, but I work around it. Getting approx 28 mpg in rural driving situation. Husband is pushing for a new car, but I don't like the style of the new Impala's. Hate to see the "old girl" go. I'll probably go for an all wheel drive crossover this time since I can't find a sedan that gives me what I want.

Favorite Features

This vehicle loaded with just about every option including sunroof. Acceleration (3.8L V6 engine) and handling always meets my expectations. Comfort on a long drive is excellent. Large trunk

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see an Impala in the future with all wheel drive.