Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 131 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

I'll never buy a GM vehicle ever again
By Mark

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a money pit constant major repairs. And the recalls, I'm currently on a long list to get the recalls fixed, both of that may kill you. Handling? It handles like a boat..... Ok the positive's of the car, it's roomy and comfortable, it get's decent mpg for the size. Don't be fooled by my mileage 200k this is my 3rd engine and 2nd transmission in this lemon Among many smaller repairs. I don't mind repairs I understand eventually things go bad or maintance needs to be done, but when parts fail because they are poorly designed or cheaply made that's what makes me angry and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Faithful Horse
By wyddon

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I know many had problems with the 2000 - 2004 - engine cradle, brakes, windshield leak to mention a few. Traded mine in with 109,000 miles, slight hail damage, LOUD Front End Bearing Noise between 40 and 70, along with sensor failures. It just got old.
It was a good car until the sensors started wear out. Got low 20 around town and upper 20's on the Interstate for gas mileage. Bladder full before gas gauge screams for attention. Styling was not too dated, always comfortable.
Always knew the electric bells and whistles would be the end of the car.
Front Air Dam was shot too. Engine temp slowly increased as the the Dam deterioated.
Used extended warranty, paid for itself.

Integrated entertainment and vehicle info system. Well laid out instrument cluster. Excellent and responsive powertrain and suspension. A REAL old school trunk! Lots of room. Liked the Compass, Air Temp, Gas mileage info above center windshield

Front Air Dam drags and impacts easily.

Best car ever owned
By andybenz

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used back in 2009 and its the BEST car we ever owned. I have never ridden in a car that is SO smooth and Comfortable! and when you step on it. the car whooshes down the road. and I sit back enjoying the ride. We haven't had any issues with it. We have the LS trim so it looks so much attractive with the sporty look and the wheels and has a much bigger engine. We still have it with almost 200k miles and still runs like new except for the smoky smell after you really step on it after 150k miles. but thats just the grease. could happen to any car anyway

Extremely comfortable leather seats. The power

Doesn't have heated seats with it...when leather seats come with it could use heated seats with it aswell

It's a Tank
By beemorsch

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has seen HELL from just from my sister and I driving it alone (after three others). Even though I haven't been in any accidents with it (although I've come pretty close), my sister has gone through 3/4 pretty bad doozies, yet with just a bit of fixing up, it's still running.

That said, my gas gauge doesn't work, the drivers side heated seat is shot, my radio drains the battery when connected (wiring issue) and a few other things are in need of repair.

This being my first car, the length was intimidating after learning to drive in a mini, but I always loved it and have always called it my tank, because it's seen so many things and gone through "war."

There are a few big blind spots when it comes to the windshield.

Money PIT!!!!!!
By drsmilzel

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my impala since 04 I bought it used with 60,000 miles on it. I have replaced the motor once, tranny once, and the power steering went 2 times and that was withing the first 2 years under the warrenty as well as the ABS and traction control sensors in the hubs are a pain they go every 2 years if not more often. Now after the warrenty is up I will say this thing has sucked more money out of me then if I had children! I find my self replacing the power steering pump constantly and the high presure line and the rack and pinion. The gas gauge doesnt work cause the level sensor in the sending unit is frozen and they want 300 for the whole unit cause you can't get just the level sensor.

I like the leather seats and its comfortable and roomy. I think I should cut it up and make man couches out of it for my garage. seriously don't ever buy this car! unless you want something to throw money at. In that case just give it to me.

Chevy needs to hire new engineers or buy better products. The power steering pump is on the bottom of the engine in the back against the firewall. I burn myself trying to fill it when I am tring to drive and lose steering. Really Chevy in general needs to stop selling these cars and fix the problems. everybody I know that has this car has alot of the same problems. Oh and I was a Chevy Guy and still am when it comes to older camaros and corvettes ect. but I will never buy a newer car from them EVER. Honda is the way to go 300,000 miles and still run and probably without and oil change HAHA. go luck if you have this car.