2001 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Best car ever owned
By andybenz on 12/28/14 10:24 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used back in 2009 and its the BEST car we ever owned. I have never ridden in a car that is SO smooth and Comfortable! and when you step on it. the car whooshes down the road. and I sit back enjoying the ride. We haven't had any issues with it. We have the LS trim so it looks so much attractive with the sporty look and the wheels and has a much bigger engine. We still have it with almost 200k miles and still runs like new except for the smoky smell after you really step on it after 150k miles. but thats just the grease. could happen to any car anyway

It's a Tank
By beemorsch on 02/19/14 10:19 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has seen HELL from just from my sister and I driving it alone (after three others). Even though I haven't been in any accidents with it (although I've come pretty close), my sister has gone through 3/4 pretty bad doozies, yet with just a bit of fixing up, it's still running. That said, my gas gauge doesn't work, the drivers side heated seat is shot, my radio drains the battery when connected (wiring issue) and a few other things are in need of repair. This being my first car, the length was intimidating after learning to drive in a mini, but I always loved it and have always called it my tank, because it's seen so many things and gone through "war."

Money PIT!!!!!!
By drsmilzel on 01/25/11 22:24 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my impala since 04 I bought it used with 60,000 miles on it. I have replaced the motor once, tranny once, and the power steering went 2 times and that was withing the first 2 years under the warrenty as well as the ABS and traction control sensors in the hubs are a pain they go every 2 years if not more often. Now after the warrenty is up I will say this thing has sucked more money out of me then if I had children! I find my self replacing the power steering pump constantly and the high presure line and the rack and pinion. The gas gauge doesnt work cause the level sensor in the sending unit is frozen and they want 300 for the whole unit cause you can't get just the level sensor.

Don't Want to Give Up My Impala
By Judy on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car new. Currently has 122,000 miles on it. Classy looking and very comfortable. This vehicle handles and rides like a dream even through I am hard on vehicles. I did have some issues with the electrical system during the first few months, but they were resolved. As others have noted, there is an issue with a knock in the steering & the gas float doesn't work anymore, but I work around it. Getting approx 28 mpg in rural driving situation. Husband is pushing for a new car, but I don't like the style of the new Impala's. Hate to see the "old girl" go. I'll probably go for an all wheel drive crossover this time since I can't find a sedan that gives me what I want.

Love my Impala
By Kathy L on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 8 years. It's incredibly dependable and a comfortable car. I recommend purchasing an extended 100,000 warranty in case you do have any issues which I have had a few but the ext. warranty helped. Still gets 30 mpg on the highway. Only problem is the gas gauge doesn't work but I can live with that. I do service it yearly whether it needs it or not. A lot of times it's all about the maintenance!

Great Performance
By scottxwinston on 08/29/10 01:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car! It Rides smoother than my Grandmother's 2002 Cadillac Deville. It's very roomy and fun to drive. I feel very safe in this car. It also gets better gas mileage than previous 4 cyl car did. My Impala has almost 170,000 miles on it and it's still running great. The 3400 V6 engine is like a tank!

Bland
By TopGear on 08/12/10 08:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My grandma used to own this car, and it was pretty much un-driven. When her license was revoked, I took on the old Chevy as a second car to my Volvo XC90. I've got to say, as nice as it is to have the extra car around, this is a boring car. I find it's too easy to drive, and that the seats are made to be slouched in the whole time. Apart from the front, which has some good features, this is an ugly car. The steering wheels feels plasticy (because it is) and the shifter is unresponsive. This car does have decent handling, but not perfect, and decent power, but unresponsive. If you need an extra car, and don't care at all about cars, buy this - but if you're like me and like cars, forget it.

love my car
By Diana on 08/02/10 14:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car the ride is great i have over 145,000 miles on my car and this week is the first time i have to replace axles this car has been good & would buy another. It's like anything if you take care of it, it will take care of you. do your maintenance, it make a difference.

Constant lack of starting
By Brett on 07/24/10 13:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

From the get go the car was awesome. Then the lack of starting periodically. Some said the ignition/alarm but I searched the internet and found the problem to everyone's trouble was the 1) BCM (body control module) Chevy charge $350 reprogrammed a new one and solved that problem 2) Rotors. Solved that too. Ceramic brake pads. Keeps the rotors cooler on contact. 3) Rack and Pinion. Shot but works like a BMW. Can totally feel the road now. 4) Corners bad-solved with polyurethane bushings to the sway bar. Now the perfect family sedan. Corners like a police car/mileage like a small car. Buy a 2003 on for Onstar 90,000 mile 34 mpg consistently on the hwy. Still a great multi-duty vehicle

Can't afford it anymore.
By Broke on 06/20/10 10:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

In the 2 years I owned this car, I had to put in over $4300 in repairs. Power window regulators, Intake manifold gasket, struts, strut mounts, struts again, brakes twice, steering box/rack. Both rear door handles (exterior) broke off, one by my daughter. Not my best car ownership experience. GM man for 25 years. I give up, so now I drive a Nissan.