2000 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Never again
By Amalia on 10/13/09 22:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan

I have owned it from the start, 9 years now. I've kept up with maintenance and read the owner's manual. Despite this, I've been having problems over the past 3 years that in the past month have come to a head. The problems include a broken water pump, coolant leaks, radiator problems, temperature gauge braking, the window motor failing, a transmission problem that often makes it hard to pull out at green lights, an engine that doesn't like going over mountains, and the blinker wiring's loose. I've brought it to two places that have been trustworthy for family and they can't figure it out. Far too many problems for 65k - was it made on a mon/fri?! Will not buy Chevy EVER again.

My first chevy
By leslieann56 on 08/04/09 18:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan

My family always drove Fords, I had owned 2 myself before I got my Impala. I love driving it. Handles well, very reliable, great gas mileage(over 29 mpg on highway at 70-75 mph). Large trunk for trips. Best car I have ever owned, and intend to stick with them. Only problem I had, was the radio died, and had to be replaced. Unfortunately, the new radio does not have the auto volumn adjust feature, I really liked it.

Transmission problems
By Morteen on 06/23/09 11:44 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan

From day one we have had transmission problems. Dealer said need new transmission but when we appealed to GM headquarter miraculously we found that it was electrical or computer generated problem. We were told this by someone other than the GM dealer. At a stop light when we give it gas the veh feels like we ran over a railroad track. Still having problems. 6/23/2009

Mom told me so
By Specter on 07/05/08 19:37 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan

i bought this car against my mother's better judgment. Since I've had the car I have replaced the thermostat, water pump, hoses. and now the radiator. I think the person that had the vehicle before me did not take care of it at all. I love how the car rides and feels when driving down the road. But it is costing me to fix every little thing that breaks one after another.

Great Car
By MAC on 12/08/07 12:00 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan

Now has 75000 miles. 20 mpg city 31 mpg highway. Only problem was front rotors. Warped twice and repaired at no cost by Chevrolet. Very comfortable car. Rides great.

My Impala
By amber0ne on 07/07/06 11:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan

When I bought the car it had a lot of highway miles on it and needed a little work, but it's a great car and I'm not worried about getting stranded somewhere.

Honestly enjoy it!
By Heather on 04/29/06 21:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan

Bought our Impala (base model) after I was hit and my 1992 Pontiac Bonneville was totaled. Ride is wonderful. Plenty of room for our family of 5 and can seat 6. I have had toruble with my turning signals ot working properly. We've had the multi-function switch replaced twice and it's now acting up again. Oddly enough, I can some times get the signal to work if I put hazard lights on while the switch is in place for turning. Playing around with it usually can get the signal going again. I wish we had bought the LS model. Our daughter is soon to be driving and she has picked out a 2000 Impala in the LS model. The ride is that good that she passed up the little Mitsubishi Eclipse! Impressive.

Awesome Buy!
By thermal izod on 06/22/05 16:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan

Economical and fun to drive, my Impala has ample power, and lots of room and comfort. It has a smooth quiet ride, and is easy to find aftermarket parts for, such as my cold air intake and Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system. I couldn't be happier.

Piece of Junk
By Tim Kennedy on 04/27/05 19:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan

I am really getting tired of problems every time I turn around. Now the power steering pump is whining at only 65,000 miles. Also the drivers window is getting stuck periodically. Just about 2 weeks ago had to put it in the shop again. Would not start at times and the security light would come on. Ended up being the BCM (body control module). An electronic part that controls everything inside of the car electrical. Maybe these things are normal to start happening now. I don't know. I am sure getting tired of something going wrong every time I turn around. Just had the ignition switch replaced at 55,000 miles. Rotors replaced twice.

Just love my Impala
By JMW13 on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan

i bought my impala new in 2000, it has given me very few problems. I had a click in the steering sector that apparently is common on these cars. That was fixed $80 bill from service station. I also had to have intake gaskets replaced at 140,000. Thats about it for problems. My car burns no oil. I go about 6000 miles between oil changes & have never had to add any oil in between changes. The suspension on this thing is something else.I am still riding on the original uniroyals at 163,000. There is still some tread to wear off of them yet but am thinking for the upcoming MN winter i will