Why did GM stop making the Impala SS?!!
By portert0224 on
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan
I love this car and plan on buying another for my wife and one for each of my five kids! If you want a fun, fast, roomy 4-door modern muscle car, this is your car! My 96 SS ran a 14.67 quarter mile when it was stock. I added a cold air intake and K&N filter and it ran a 14.53 quarter mile. This SS will outrun any stock 5.0 or 4.6 Mustang. It is very reliable. It still has the stock battery that came with the car and it has had only two mechanical problems--the driver side window came off track and the wiper switch malfunctioned, all occuring after 80,000 miles! It gets 21-24 mpg depending on my lead foot. Awesome car!
Favorite Features
The LT1 350 is easy to modify for increased performance. I love to see the shocked look on Mustang owner's when your 2-ton 4-door SS outruns their pony! It is totally reliable and gets great gas mileage.
Suggested Improvements
A stronger tranny with a high stall converter and shift kit or a 6 speed manual transmission. 3.73 gears, cold air intake with K&N filter, stainless headers, 18x10" wheels, 335/0/18 tires.