1996 Chevrolet Impala 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

SS 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (56 reviews )

1996 Impala Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
GM got it right, then quit!
By soccercoach99

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I have seven cars, including a Porsche Boxster, Jaguar XJ8, Honda S2000 and some winter AWD/4WD vehicles. Driving the SS is somehow very very satisfying, it lopes along, big, black, bad, and then, when called on, just puts you into the comfy seats and gets to really outrageous speeds in a blink. I'm sure that more modern vehicles beat the numbers on acceleration, etc, but blasting around a freeway on ramp at 80 to 90 in a couple of heart beats with this beast is extremely fun!

Favorite Features

comfort, torque, handling for a large vehicle, bullet proof feel, stability at speed, great stock engine, wheels, tires, brakes package!

Suggested Improvements

can really tell the build quality difference from GM to the overseas marques, just little stuff -- knobs, trim, window guides, handles and such -- would be nice if they didn't break or fall off when I'm a little ham fisted.

Stealth 4-door Vette
By Dcarzar

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I am an enthusiast and love to drive. I did not really need to order a new SS, but I wanted a toy that would be a fun investment. My SS delivered, yeah it was politically correct with lighter & ashtrays; room and comfort for both my wife & grandmother in the same trip. My SS has been driven primarily as a highway cruiser, and has driven 300 miles in three hours, on regular gas an gets 25-28 mpg. I only need to pull it out of the garage to turn heads and there is always someone asking me to 1st bidder when I sell.

Favorite Features

Smooth, quick and efficient, The LT1 V8.

Suggested Improvements

In 1996 the build quality was lower than todayís standard and thatís my only complaint. Panel gaps were much larger then. The only thing I replaced are tires (road hazard) and brakes, they just got old, due to not using them, rust.

Still purring
By 2KPurr

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

Have enjoyed owning & driving it for nearly 13 years, transmission & engine have been flawless, water system/radiator/cooling required replacement, been thru 3 sets of tires, still turns heads. I am very proud to own such fine machinery that gets rarer yearly, get offers to sell all the time, have driven across country north-south & east-west, makes for great made-in-America advertising, insured as 4-door Caprice but is actually a Super Sport (no complaints), passes state emissions/safety tests without fail, plan on keeping all the way

Favorite Features

Awesome power, beckoning looks, engine, solid mechanicals, ease & price for repairs, longevity, roominess, handling at high speeds, wide tires, no road noise, engine purrs at 2000 RPMs at 70MPH, uses regular unleaded, stainless steel exhaust, LT1 engine, chassis/rear diff

Suggested Improvements

Body assembly quality, the famous rear diff gasket, speaker quality, odometer, door window glides (failed on all four windows), turn signal lever robustness, steering at low speed, engine heats in heavy slow traffic, wide tires slick in rain (but love 'em), spoiled me against all competitors

Great ride
By great ride

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I get more pleasure driving this car then my 2008 STS Caddy. Still a head turner. Seats are realy comfortable and everything is heavy duty.

13 years and going
By huntt

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

A few replacement parts here and there. Usual upkeep as with any car. I get 19-21 mpg (still) highway miles. I love that it still looks good at its age. Alloy wheels could be replaced but that's another story. It has truly been a great car. I have owned this car longer than any other car. I plan to drive it till the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Leather seats. 350 LT1 Corvette engine V8, the way it handles

Suggested Improvements

I wish it was not rear wheel drive.

Best car in the nation besides Camry!
By jg1

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I bought my SS with 89000 miles on it in 2005. This is a great car. Took it on trips no problem. Everybody always asking me do I want to sell it. The best big body car ever made. Runs real strong and lasts with the best of them.

Favorite Features

Big body, stock rims, and all the space inside the car.

Suggested Improvements

None

Frank
By Frank

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

Ive always loved this car since I was a kid, Now I own two and I'm planning on owning another one. This car is great for people who want to keep it stock and got enough aftermarket parts to make and all out weekend warrior. Love the looks.I get compliments from all ages of people .

Favorite Features

The LT1 stout engine. The grey leather enterior, and the design of the Impala SS

Suggested Improvements

To have had and option between factory 3.08s- 3.73 rear end gears!

Pauls 96 SS
By Pauls96ss

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I have owned this car for 11.5 years. This car won runner up at the 2003 Super Chevy Show and many first, second, and third place trophies at other car shows and bracket racing events. Odometer is at 148,000 miles and I would not hesitate to take it on a cross country trip.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are bad boy looks and the powerful engine. Simple mods easily net an additional 40 horse power dyno proven!

Suggested Improvements

None.

A fun car
By ss355

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

Bought mine with 8 miles on the clock. Now has over 165K. It's been a fun car to drive. A few quirks, certainly, but overall I've really enjoyed the car. Not '96 Supra Turbo fast, but certainly enough ummph to get on the highway with no trouble and impress a few teenagers. Fantastic car for the highway. Plenty of room for the whole family. Large trunk. Reasonable back road performance, given the 4000+ lb. curb weight. The air pump (emissions control) and water pump have been headaches, but otherwise a fairly reliable car. Plan to drive this one till it drops.

Favorite Features

Engine power, rear wheel drive, exterior styling (particularly the wheels), rear passenger comfort, power seats, maintenance access in engine bay, availability of many aftermarket accessories

Suggested Improvements

Reliable water pump, better factory stereo, manual tranny option (aftermarkets are available--$$$$), slightly stiffer sway bars, more supportive driver's seat (I'm tall, and the backrest hits me wrong; needs more side bolster)

My '96 SS
By Bill L.

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for almost eight years, and will continue to drive it until GM comes up with a sucessor. It is amazing for anything this big and heavy to be either as nimble or quick, yet comfortable as an old shoe. It is unfortunate that we are both getting older.

Favorite Features

All of it.

Suggested Improvements

Windows that work. Odometer that works.