1996 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

SS 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (56 reviews )
GM got it right, then quit!
By soccercoach99 on 06/05/10 17:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I have seven cars, including a Porsche Boxster, Jaguar XJ8, Honda S2000 and some winter AWD/4WD vehicles. Driving the SS is somehow very very satisfying, it lopes along, big, black, bad, and then, when called on, just puts you into the comfy seats and gets to really outrageous speeds in a blink. I'm sure that more modern vehicles beat the numbers on acceleration, etc, but blasting around a freeway on ramp at 80 to 90 in a couple of heart beats with this beast is extremely fun!

Stealth 4-door Vette
By Dcarzar on 07/17/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I am an enthusiast and love to drive. I did not really need to order a new SS, but I wanted a toy that would be a fun investment. My SS delivered, yeah it was politically correct with lighter & ashtrays; room and comfort for both my wife & grandmother in the same trip. My SS has been driven primarily as a highway cruiser, and has driven 300 miles in three hours, on regular gas an gets 25-28 mpg. I only need to pull it out of the garage to turn heads and there is always someone asking me to 1st bidder when I sell.

Still purring
By 2KPurr on 12/02/08 22:03 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

Have enjoyed owning & driving it for nearly 13 years, transmission & engine have been flawless, water system/radiator/cooling required replacement, been thru 3 sets of tires, still turns heads. I am very proud to own such fine machinery that gets rarer yearly, get offers to sell all the time, have driven across country north-south & east-west, makes for great made-in-America advertising, insured as 4-door Caprice but is actually a Super Sport (no complaints), passes state emissions/safety tests without fail, plan on keeping all the way

Great ride
By great ride on 09/23/08 22:04 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I get more pleasure driving this car then my 2008 STS Caddy. Still a head turner. Seats are realy comfortable and everything is heavy duty.

13 years and going
By huntt on 06/08/08 12:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

A few replacement parts here and there. Usual upkeep as with any car. I get 19-21 mpg (still) highway miles. I love that it still looks good at its age. Alloy wheels could be replaced but that's another story. It has truly been a great car. I have owned this car longer than any other car. I plan to drive it till the wheels fall off.

Best car in the nation besides Camry!
By jg1 on 03/25/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I bought my SS with 89000 miles on it in 2005. This is a great car. Took it on trips no problem. Everybody always asking me do I want to sell it. The best big body car ever made. Runs real strong and lasts with the best of them.

Frank
By Frank on 07/27/07 07:39 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

Ive always loved this car since I was a kid, Now I own two and I'm planning on owning another one. This car is great for people who want to keep it stock and got enough aftermarket parts to make and all out weekend warrior. Love the looks.I get compliments from all ages of people .

Pauls 96 SS
By Pauls96ss on 03/17/07 11:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I have owned this car for 11.5 years. This car won runner up at the 2003 Super Chevy Show and many first, second, and third place trophies at other car shows and bracket racing events. Odometer is at 148,000 miles and I would not hesitate to take it on a cross country trip.

A fun car
By ss355 on 03/06/07 13:15 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

Bought mine with 8 miles on the clock. Now has over 165K. It's been a fun car to drive. A few quirks, certainly, but overall I've really enjoyed the car. Not '96 Supra Turbo fast, but certainly enough ummph to get on the highway with no trouble and impress a few teenagers. Fantastic car for the highway. Plenty of room for the whole family. Large trunk. Reasonable back road performance, given the 4000+ lb. curb weight. The air pump (emissions control) and water pump have been headaches, but otherwise a fairly reliable car. Plan to drive this one till it drops.

My '96 SS
By Bill L. on 02/07/07 17:57 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for almost eight years, and will continue to drive it until GM comes up with a sucessor. It is amazing for anything this big and heavy to be either as nimble or quick, yet comfortable as an old shoe. It is unfortunate that we are both getting older.