Used 1994 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

SS 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (11 reviews )

236K and still going
By coleyhe

1994 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan

After two water pumps and a distributor thats all the major maint. I've done of course I do the high way patrol sch, changing all fluids at every 3/36 and using AMSOIL sense 96. spent $22,000 sense then on maint. tires,oil, rotation, etc.

Favorite Features

LT1, second gen chevy motor, reverse cooled, 10.5-1 compression ratio using 87 octane fuel. 18/25 MPG

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, shift points is the magor problem, flushing 20 quarts every 3/36 has saved me

Best SS Ever
By Svimburg

1994 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan

After ten years, my '94 Impala SS is still fun to drive and looks good. There is plenty of room for my family of five and all of our stuff fits easily into the Soprano-sized trunk. The acceleration is exciting and the roar of the iron block V-8 never fails to put a smile on my face. I was surprised to see on Edmunds that my car has retained 50% of its value since I bought 10 years ago! The car is very comfortable to drive around town or on a long road trip. Gas mileage is good. I get high teens in town and low 20s on the highway where I cruise at 70. I get the same mpg on a 2003 Honda Odyssey van that has a V-6 and 5 speed automatic.

Favorite Features

The speed, power and roar of the engine are best. Plus, the radio/CD player and HVAC controls are easy to use. All seats are as comfortable as the Lazy Boy in my living room. GM achieved perfection with this one.

Suggested Improvements

None. The tiny new Impala SS with front wheel drive could never lure me away. I heard GM is contemplating a 400 hp rwd full size model. Bring it!

Dream Car
By Rice SS

1994 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan

This car has been my dream car since it first came out 14 years ago. It has been a drwam drivng so far. I really am a fan of the 96 but I'm happy with the 94 so far. Only problem is the power lock fuse keeps blowing. Probably something the stereo installer did because that's when it started. It came with dual wide chrome pipes and growls like a pitbull at a stop light. If you drive this thing like a 4 cylinder you will come out the pocket in gas. So far I'm at 15+ mpg's. You have to cruise. Heads turn left and right for this car but the police are looking too. Not recommended for someone who wants to be low key. Highly recommended for the life of the party type of person.

Favorite Features

Leather, dual exhaust, powerful engine, rear wheel drive (peel out), the attention the car brings, the factory rims, smooth ride just about everything.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage (if possible) and that's it

SSled
By SSled

1994 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan

This car fits me to a tee at my age and comfort expectations anymore. I've owned several pre-70's Chevy muscle cars and each had their high points. This modern muscle may not get the looks of a 70 Chevelle or 66 Nova but neither had air Conditioning or 4 wheel disc brakes or comfy leather seating or power this and that. Thats not to say it doesn't get noticed, I'm impressed how many thumbs up I get actually. Mine is a 4000 mile original that gets driven very rarely but when it does I enjoy it immensly. It's not the quickest or fastest car out there but it's got plenty of power and gets decent gas mileage for a 4200lb LT1 V8. Overall the car is perfect.

Favorite Features

Soft leather seats, ride comfort, big and spacious. Car has personality. Not many on the road anymore either.

Suggested Improvements

You can always use more power, better brakes, better mileage, etc.

Stop Living In The Past
By banx

1994 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan

I owned this car for a year in '96. Compared to today's cars, it's a slug. Curb weight was 4200 lbs and with only 260 hp, 0-60 was almost 8 seconds. Almost any car today can do that. Handling was great for the time, but a new car would run rings around it now. It was relatively easy to maintain, but not well assembled. I loved the aggressive look then. Today it looks like a brick on wheels. The best part of the SS was it's ability to hold so many passengers and their equipment.

Favorite Features

Cargo carrying ability.