Used 2011 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

2LT LOADED W/auto trans.
By F. L. Allen Jr.

2011 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After working at GM for 30 years and seeing a lot of different designs this one has been an eye catcher from the start. There are several areas that cold have made this little ride even better. Such as a six speed auto transmission for mileage with the double overdrive and a independent rear suspension. Other than that a very practical vehicle. Getting in and out is very easy for someone short or a 6 footer plus.

Retro HHR
By Bill Prior

2011 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A great ride! Easy to drive.

It's Very Basically Alright
By Steve

2011 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car purchase occurred when my beloved Volvo wagon got totaled. I bought a Chrysler Pacifica because it was AWD. My wife drove a 2003 Cavalier that she, apparently, loved. I hated that thing -- it was low to the ground, had awful safety ratings, terrible reliability. She was carting around the kids and her mother on shopping trips almost daily in a cramped compact. I gave her the Pacifica because of the AWD (Northeast winters), the extreme level of comfort you can achieve with proper (frequent) maintenance, better safety rating and I took the Cavalier. I couldn't stand it and drove it to a dealership 2 months later. I bought a 2011 HHR in 2015.

Yes, I realize that the HHR is a glorified Cobalt which is a "newer" Cavalier. There is nothing cool about this car if you're under 70. There is no resale value to this car. I cared that I was buying a 2011 Something with 55K in 2015 for under $10K that still carried a tiny slice of a GM warranty.

-- The ride quality is "acceptable"... a little rough, but not annoying. Halfway decent pick-up.
-- The ability to haul moderate sized items is "very good". You can put in a standard walk-behind lawnmower relatively easily with room for a child's car seat.
-- The MPG is "alright"... 23 MPG, but it seems like I fill up rarely.
-- The interior is "alright"... it's true, it's a pile of plastic inside, but it cleans easily.
-- The instrumentation is "alright/very good"... the dash has a lot of info (shows MPG, 2 trip odometers, tire pressure, radiator temp, outdoor temp), but my button to change between categories can become unresponsive at times, telling me this isn't a strongly assembled system. Plus, I know that the outdoor temp is usually wrong. I take it with a grain of salt. Plus, this is an 1LT edition... but it lacks nearly ALL of the 1LT upgrades. I think I got one power seat out of the deal.
-- The stock speakers are "acceptable"... slightly better than the old Cavalier. It has an AUX jack which is helpful alongside a CD player.
-- It has, as of now, never needed repair.

HHR: Great Little Utility Vehicle
By neh1

2011 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Own a 2009 2LT version. It does everything I wanted it to. I'd only change a few
things:

1. install four wheel disc brakes instead of the "disc/drum" brake combination.

2. install the full roof rack instead of just half of it and expecting the buyer to purchase the other half as an aftermarket option.

3. upgrade the radio/cd player so its more robust. CD's keep sticking inside the player necessitating playing games to get them unstuck.

4. change the engine intake air filter housing design. The housing removal is a major pain when you want to change out filters.

Great Car!
By gonzo79

2011 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Wife and I bought this car about a year back. So far we use it for all of our trips and like the quiet ride. We now have 35k on it and it runs like a dream. Smooth auto trans and quite peppy for 2.2 - 4 cyl engine. We can get all the groceries, and all of our newborns equipment in the hatch. We get between 26.5-28mpg on average. Fun little car, we have enjoyed it so far. Wish they didn't discontinue them!

Good gas mileage. Nice exterior styling. Affordable price.

Materials inside are a tad cheap.