Used 2010 Chevrolet HHR SS SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Chevrolet HHR SS - Consumer Reviews

SS 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (6 reviews )

Chevy building good cars again.
By teachweber

2010 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A solid, tight car/truckette. Handling better than my MiniCooper S except for turning radius but then that should be obvious. My fuel mileage hovers around 28/29 mpg while my little truckette is faster than most V-8s I owned nothing but Chevy's until I was 35 years old. Then strayed for 20 years. Back again with this great little truck. Love retro and this vehicle is true to that while being very reliable.

HUD display on upper dash. Don't see many cars with that. Very trick while very practical. Slick shifting 5-Speed, considerably faster than my MiniCooper S without abusing it. Better fuel mileage than I expected. Chevy nailed it with a turbo 4 cylinder. Love the versatility of the larger cabin with all fold down seats. Versatility of On Star with Sat radio and hands free calling is amazing. This is a retro cruiser, that most near my age can really identify with.

Turning radius, but really not a big issue, I'm used to a MiniCooper.

Cool car/truck
By lakelizrd

2010 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just purchased a 2010 left over automatic SS/HHR. List price $27,975. Bought the truck for $20,260. The dealer had the SS left over in his inventory from 2010 and wanted to get rid of the truck. I only have 3000 miles on the SS, but so far it is a kick to drive. I added the stage 1 turbo booster kit which is a $690 dealer installed option. The booster kit kicks up the performance to 290 hp, 330 pounds of torque. This little guy screams and will keep up with my G-35 infinity. The ride is great, and handles well. You know the HHR is what it is - an inexpensive fun ride. If you are looking for big hauler buy a big truck - this is just a fun ride netting me an average of 27 MPG. So far so good

Fun ride - great gas mileage - stage 1 boost kit makes this baby fly!

The cup holders are are located in a terrible place.

2010 Turbo Problems
By Nick

2010 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had 5 HHR's since 2006 (love the car), two turbos out of the 5. Never had a problem with any (not even a water leak or radio problem)except for this 2010. A piece of tubing connected to the turbo holds 20 pounds of pressure and was made out of plastic that failed. The Chevy dealer cannot find the part nationwide even with GM help. My question is what about contacting the assembly plant for a part or have one fabricated? Dealer stated GM will not let them fabricate a part, so I have been without my 600 mile 2010 car for over a week. The only thing Ford, GM or others understand is a lawyer. Did get a loaner car after 5 days with GM help.

Retro look, ease of loading camping stuff and ability to flat tow behind our motor home

Power lift gate, chrome 18" wheels

The buggy that could
By Dojobuggy

2010 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Traded in my Ford Flex for the HHR SS and I am very happy with it. I went for the SS due to the power and handling package but ended up putting on the Turbo Upgrade and WOW. The HHR handles likes a sports car, gets really good mpg, has plenty of passing power and is very comfortable to drive. The bluetooth wireless is every bit as good as Ford Sync but their radio quality is not the greatest. Overall the HHR SS is the best model in its class out of the ones I had driven including Mazda and Mitsubishi.

Sporty interior, excellent performance, stylish great looks, turns head and accelerates very rapidly.

Could use better sounding radio. GM should move the intercooler to a better protected area due to possible animal damage. Add leather for the SS model.

One of the Best Vehicles I've Ever Owned
By VictorySpeedway

2010 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I ordered a 2010 HHR SS with the AA5 (no rear quarter windows), sound system, performance package. I am blown away by the performance. It'll do 150 mph. I've had it up to 118, and it wasn't even breathing hard. It handles "as if on rails." Seats are very comfortable, even on long trips, and I make many of those. It has enough space for all my equipment. Sound system is good, not great. I would install a custom stereo system on my next vehicle. The factory tires are wearing like iron. But the best feature of all is the mileage - I'm averaging 28.5 mpg. All in all, it is almost the perfect vehicle.

Excellent performance / handling / gas mileage

The "Premium" Pioneer stereo is just average. More wattage, better speakers, larger sub-woofer would be a big improvement.