LT 2.4 auto
By monkfarm on
2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)
I bought my HHR 2.4 LT at 8100 miles. I am a spirited driver. The suspension is antiquated. Look under the rear and discover the solid axle. (I have had 3 bmws). That said, the car starts well and is dependable, and is a good solid car for hauling my wife and 4 dogs. (the back seat folds down.) There is not enough storage in the front and the front corner of the dash tends to bother my knee on long trips. The drivers seat isn't bad, but could be improved. The dimmer switch seems to make the headlights disappear for a microsecond which is irritating. The torque steer when you really stomp on it is pronounced. This car is pretty good on long trips and doesn't handle badly. I enjoy it
Favorite Features
The styling I like. I do like the room in the car with the back seat folded down. The fog-lights and headlights seem to put a good pattern on the side of the road. The 2.4 seems to have adequate power. I like that I can shut off the daytime running lights with the switch. The heater and air-conditioner are great. (I was in oklahoma this august with 120 degree weather and it kept up. ) The steering is good, and the car works steering through heavy traffic at high speeds. I like the flex fuel feature. Car is relatively easy to change oil. The car always starts no matter how cold (wisconsin). I have 37000 now.
Suggested Improvements
More storage in front, different design on the dash (hard on the right knee). I like the dash on my former 379 Peterbilt, flat, all the gauges, simple but elegant. It would be beautiful with turned aluminum. Gorgeous on this car and cheap to build. I get some brake noise, and I am not in love with the brakes, (just barely adequate). I mentioned torque steer before (the tendency of the car to wander under acceleration). This is pronounced with this car, really surprising wandering that you must stay on top of when even passing maneuvers call for massive acceleration. Stock lug bolts are cheap (kinda scary), I had to replace 3 already (stripped out). Better fuel economy would be nice.