Used 2009 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Great value, performance and utility
By JB

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My HHR SS has exceeded expectations. The car has excellent power and handling, with plenty of usable cargo space and very good mileage. It also has good visibility and a comfortable ride. A unique and well done vehicle by GM.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive with strong and economical engine combined with 5 sp manual. Efficient use of space. Exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats and auto climate control as options. Center console/more interior storage.

HHR SS->is a "BLAST"
By bcom76

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I ended up with this car completely by accident.I was not looking for a new car but happened to be given an HHR as a rental car.My first thoughts were- what else is available.However,it did not take me long to really appreciate this car/suv.I like it so much that when I returned home I researched the HHR and bought an SS.I traded a an suv that I really liked-a 2007 Tahoe LTZ and I have not been disappointed.This HHR SS is comfortable,stylish,economical and,when needed,very fast. An excellent purchase and I have no regrets.A fun car overall!!

Favorite Features

the SS features- exterior,interior,badging,fog lamps and TURBO.

Suggested Improvements

better cupholders,tilt steering wheel,heated seats.

LOVE it!
By lins

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this when we had problems with our 99 Olds van and we have no regrets. Have only owned it for a few weeks so far but I love driving it and love the looks. My husband is 6 ft and he has no problems with space. I can not believe how much stuff I can haul in he cargo area! This car is so fun to drive and beats out the van on cargo space and gas mileage. We did have to get a new battery installed within a few days of buying it but we did buy it used so I can't complain to loudly on that. It was still under warranty so we didn't have to pay. I just LOVE this car and hope it handles well this winter here in the Northeast.

Favorite Features

Looks, hugs the road, cargo space, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

more comfortable seats, cupholders, bigger glovebox (I know there are basically 2 but with smaller kids, I like to keep things in the car) no place to store cds

One Cool Car
By Richard in Murrieta

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car VERY inexpensively under the C4C program only 2 criteria: get the least expensive car I could find in one weekend, and get a car with adequate head room (I'm 6'3"). I am pleasantly surprised with this stylish car I bought the aqua-blue one). It reminds me of those big-eyed Chevron cars in the ads--very cute. My wife calls it a "Minnie Mouse" car. It's a bit slow, but does well for a 2.2L 4-banger with good EPA mileage.

Favorite Features

Great retro look (Much better than the PT cruiser); Remarkably quiet and comfortable; Great stereo (w/Mp3 jack!); good headroom; convenient instrument panel; unbeatable financing; affordable extended warranty

Suggested Improvements

Needs a bit more visibility (has small windows--but then this keeps out the extreme heat where I live), needs more interior storage (like a big between- seat glove box), the dash glove-box resembles a cheap toy, very poor rear visibility: a rear-view camera should be standard! rear hatch is a bit low

Very pleased
By sbecks

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Five minutes into a test drive, I was hooked. Took a sharp dog leg corner at a considerable speed, and the HHR held to the road like a magnet. A little slow off the line, but will see if a chip helps. Day of purchase took a 200mi trip. Very pleasant to drive, and very peppy and nimble in traffic. City and hiway. Great fuel economy. Cruise set at 78 most of trip. Avg mpg was 26-27. That was with a little lead foot sport driving in city. Some road noise thru suspension but not unreasonable for size of vehicle. Slight wind noise but, again not unreasonable. I am very impressed with the sure footed feeling on wet roads.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

A little better response from dead stop.