Used 2009 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Pleasantly Surprised
By rileys34

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The move to this vehicle from a mid- sized SUV has been a pleasant surprise. It drives better and costs less, except for the Caliber, than anything else we tested. It also does not look like every other crossovers.

I like this car because: great highway ride, quiet, styling, front seating position, On-star, room and carrying capacity, steering wheel mounted controls, MPG and flexfuel option.

My list is: coffee cup holders, tighter turn radius, speedometer numbering, rear disk brakes, backup sensor, some SS options available on 2LT like wheels, transmission, suspension and brakes

Practical suburban vehicle
By almontgp

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This has been one of the best choices made for my transportation needs. Actually, I purchased this with my wife's impending need to upgrade her Prism (8 yrs old). We make daily trips of 40 miles, often hauling miscellaneous things such as feed bags, plantings and assorted small gardening equipment. The route is on both paved and unpaved roads. This car (?) is a perfect fit of utility and grace. The litmus test: my wife now drives this 100%! ;) That outcome means we will purchase another - literally - because as expected, the Prism has seen the end of trails.

View and perceived command of the road. Ease of entry (wife's frequent comment).

I could suggest the rear window washer controls in a more accessible place - not the safest for driving. I miss the garage door control in my Impala.

The Last Car I Though I Would Ever Buy!
By cyburbs

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The Chevy salesman shows me a low low mileage 2009 "program car" with a new car warranty, and the LT with many options. I reluctantly take it for a test spin. Its really not like an SUV, but its fun to drive like an old school VW camper van. Chrome wheels, 2.4L engine, sunroof, remote start, great XM radio, configurable seating, room for my dogs. Its really fun to drive. Bought it a week ago, and really love the ride.

Smooth engine, traction control, XM radio, power sunroof, chrome wheels, hidden compartment for your nav, crazy amount of cargo space in a vehicle that takes up very little garage space. Its like the old VW for the 21st century. A fun ride.

If GM would shoehorn in a nice V6 with either a turbo, or supercharger, this would be a world class vehicle. Hint!

Had Reservations
By MusicTeach

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My husband wanted to get an HHR for me because I need lots of trunk storage to haul musical instruments. I was concerned about the gas mileage, and the style of the car. Right now, in the cold, I am getting 25 mph around town, and I am pleased with that. It handles very well in the snow. I am still getting used to the style, but so far, I like it.

The floor of the trunk can be raised so that you have storage under and over the trunk floor, for much added space. The traction control and ABS brakes give me security when driving in snow and ice. I like the fact that I sit high, like a minivan.

The trunk hatch should raise up higher. I am only 5'7" and have banged my head twice in 2 weeks. My back window is leaking water when I use my rear washer. Snow accumulates on the back door in front of the tires. I don't know what could be done about that for exterior design.

Great value, performance and utility
By JB

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My HHR SS has exceeded expectations. The car has excellent power and handling, with plenty of usable cargo space and very good mileage. It also has good visibility and a comfortable ride. A unique and well done vehicle by GM.

Fun to drive with strong and economical engine combined with 5 sp manual. Efficient use of space. Exterior styling.

Heated seats and auto climate control as options. Center console/more interior storage.