Used 2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Practical suburban vehicle
By almontgp

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This has been one of the best choices made for my transportation needs. Actually, I purchased this with my wife's impending need to upgrade her Prism (8 yrs old). We make daily trips of 40 miles, often hauling miscellaneous things such as feed bags, plantings and assorted small gardening equipment. The route is on both paved and unpaved roads. This car (?) is a perfect fit of utility and grace. The litmus test: my wife now drives this 100%! ;) That outcome means we will purchase another - literally - because as expected, the Prism has seen the end of trails.

View and perceived command of the road. Ease of entry (wife's frequent comment).

I could suggest the rear window washer controls in a more accessible place - not the safest for driving. I miss the garage door control in my Impala.

The Last Car I Though I Would Ever Buy!
By cyburbs

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The Chevy salesman shows me a low low mileage 2009 "program car" with a new car warranty, and the LT with many options. I reluctantly take it for a test spin. Its really not like an SUV, but its fun to drive like an old school VW camper van. Chrome wheels, 2.4L engine, sunroof, remote start, great XM radio, configurable seating, room for my dogs. Its really fun to drive. Bought it a week ago, and really love the ride.

Smooth engine, traction control, XM radio, power sunroof, chrome wheels, hidden compartment for your nav, crazy amount of cargo space in a vehicle that takes up very little garage space. Its like the old VW for the 21st century. A fun ride.

If GM would shoehorn in a nice V6 with either a turbo, or supercharger, this would be a world class vehicle. Hint!

Had Reservations
By MusicTeach

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My husband wanted to get an HHR for me because I need lots of trunk storage to haul musical instruments. I was concerned about the gas mileage, and the style of the car. Right now, in the cold, I am getting 25 mph around town, and I am pleased with that. It handles very well in the snow. I am still getting used to the style, but so far, I like it.

The floor of the trunk can be raised so that you have storage under and over the trunk floor, for much added space. The traction control and ABS brakes give me security when driving in snow and ice. I like the fact that I sit high, like a minivan.

The trunk hatch should raise up higher. I am only 5'7" and have banged my head twice in 2 weeks. My back window is leaking water when I use my rear washer. Snow accumulates on the back door in front of the tires. I don't know what could be done about that for exterior design.

LOVE it!
By lins

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this when we had problems with our 99 Olds van and we have no regrets. Have only owned it for a few weeks so far but I love driving it and love the looks. My husband is 6 ft and he has no problems with space. I can not believe how much stuff I can haul in he cargo area! This car is so fun to drive and beats out the van on cargo space and gas mileage. We did have to get a new battery installed within a few days of buying it but we did buy it used so I can't complain to loudly on that. It was still under warranty so we didn't have to pay. I just LOVE this car and hope it handles well this winter here in the Northeast.

Looks, hugs the road, cargo space, gas mileage

more comfortable seats, cupholders, bigger glovebox (I know there are basically 2 but with smaller kids, I like to keep things in the car) no place to store cds

One Cool Car
By Richard in Murrieta

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car VERY inexpensively under the C4C program only 2 criteria: get the least expensive car I could find in one weekend, and get a car with adequate head room (I'm 6'3"). I am pleasantly surprised with this stylish car I bought the aqua-blue one). It reminds me of those big-eyed Chevron cars in the ads--very cute. My wife calls it a "Minnie Mouse" car. It's a bit slow, but does well for a 2.2L 4-banger with good EPA mileage.

Great retro look (Much better than the PT cruiser); Remarkably quiet and comfortable; Great stereo (w/Mp3 jack!); good headroom; convenient instrument panel; unbeatable financing; affordable extended warranty

Needs a bit more visibility (has small windows--but then this keeps out the extreme heat where I live), needs more interior storage (like a big between- seat glove box), the dash glove-box resembles a cheap toy, very poor rear visibility: a rear-view camera should be standard! rear hatch is a bit low