2009 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
Great Bang for Your Buck
By wade on 03/17/09 12:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a lot of fun to drive. I admit it is not a Corvette but it is quite fast and nimble. The way it sticks to the road and corners is awesome. It's a real sleeper-people do not expect much based on how it looks. I have a 35 mile drive to work on a fairly empty mountain road and most people would be afraid to ride with me the way I drive it [hey, that's why we buy the SS] and yet I still get about 25 MPG! Like I said, it's not a Vette. Now for the bad -- the road noise can be unbearable on certain road surfaces. It is so loud I may get ear plugs for 580 westbound. The interior is all hard plastic. The exterior fit is not so good -- my hood sits crooked. But for <$30K great!

My Late Life Crisis
By Dan B on 03/01/09 07:17 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I was looking for a vehicle that had most of the room of my Saturn Vue, and a style that would excite me. The HHR is perfect. It has a sporty feel, accommodates the weekend chores, and is generally fun to drive. I knew what I was buying so I have no complaints about the limited view or the cupholders. The first thing my passengers and I noted is that it's a solid car feel. I plan to enjoy my new toy!

Not in snow
By zee on 02/05/09 08:27 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Traded our 170,000 mile Subaru in for an American Car, thinking that we could help the economy. We should of kept the Subaru. The Chevy HHR is the worst car that I ever driven in the snow. There are some things that I wouldn't be afraid to say that I like about this vehicle, but if you have to drive in the snow they are not worth mentioning. By the way, I am not comparing the HHR to the Subaru as far as winter drivability because there is no comparison. I was thinking of the 68 Mustang Coupe that I had once own.

A sweet ride
By blueturtle on 01/27/09 01:52 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Victory Red HHR SS turbo. Excellent performance. Very comfortable inside, high bolstered sport seats, electric adjustable seats, are excellent for me and I am 6'1". Plenty of head room,leg room. Inside has a comfy-cozy feel, but not cramped. Nice ride and the 18" wheels help that cause. Very smooth on the highway. Have to get use to this 260 horse. Doing 80 on highway without realizing. ou do not feel the speed in this car. Very quiet. Loaded. Got it all on this SS. Have 900 miles in 2 months, and so far having fun and love it. No reliability issues yet (holding my breath on the brake issue plaguing this car).

Best Car Ever!
By Fran on 01/24/09 11:58 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I traded a 2004 Ford Explorer for this little show piece. I love this vehicle! It is fun to drive, handles well as it hugs the road and the seating is comfortable. I love the sun roof, the leather seats and seat heaters. The arm rests are optional. You can pull them down if you like. If you want a little more room, leave them up, especially if you have a soft drink in the cup holder. The cupholders are fine with where they are located as long as you remember to lift the armrest. My HHR that gets 27 to 28 mpg around town. I drive 40 plus miles every day and maintain this average constantly. On the highway, I can get about 32 to 33 mph. Best car ever!

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS1 4 spd. auto
By McM on 01/15/09 23:09 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just got the HHR 3 wks ago, fun to drive, handles nicely. Good fuel mileage for not being broke in yet, 22 mpg in town, 31 on Interstate, also uses Flexifuel. Comfortable seats with lots of leg room in the front, haven't been in the back yet. Back seats fold down completely flat for a full hauling area and front pass seat folds down also. Rear storage underneath back hatch area above the spare tire door. Stereo is nice with lots of optional functions & MP3/iPod/Sat., plays MP3 or WMA CD's also. 1 yr of free OnStar is a great thing to have also & 3 mo. of Sat radio. Personal options digital display setup on dash. Auto on/off headlights, Remote Vehicle Start to 200 ft. (we love it!)

HHR - A Great GM Vehicle
By Ron S on 12/17/08 09:07 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned or leased at least 60 vehicles in my lifetime. This particular vehicle is one of the best in its class. It is well designed, is very stable, is fun to drive, is quiet, and gets great mileage. I have read a lot of reviews and have not found any of the negatives that others have reported. Yes the cupholders leave a bit to be desired and the front visibilty is a bit impaired because it is not a curved windshield. However, this is not a big deal. If you want a great domestic vehicle, ignore the skeptics and buy or lease this car.

Chevy HHR fun to drive
By Harold Rutherford on 12/01/08 15:19 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Panel LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I traded my 2002 GMC 2500 Savannah van that averaged 13 to 14 MPG at its best. I do estimates for my business and wanted something with better mileage. I decided on the Chevy HHR LT2 because of its looks, driveability, features, comfort. I have been pleasantly surprised by its quite comfortable ride and great gas millage. This vehicle will almost pay for itself in fuel savings alone, The radio with 7 Alpine speakers sounds great. So far I love the HHR and glad I picked it over its competition.

Fast little truck
By E. LINDROS MARTUCCI on 10/26/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really love this 2009 truck. I drive it daily to my home in Lake Wallenpaupack Pennsylvania and get about 27 miles per gallon highway. There is ample cargo room for a family of four and the stopping power is good due to the 4 wheel Brembo disc brakes. I have customized the exterior with chrome accents to give the truck a custom appearance. Test drive one and you will be hooked.

Nice car
By bruce on 09/27/08 07:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had 520 miles on my 09 HHR when we left on a trip to Denver NC via Norton VA. It was pretty well loaded down with luggage etc. Lots of steep hills to get to Norton but it pulled them very well. no problems with the brakes either except the pedal does feel soft. Coming back to Ohio thru the Blue Ridge on I77 it ran great with the cruise set at 70. For the trip I averaged 29.2 mpg and it was a comfortable ride. You do have to know how to set and use the outside mirrors as there are blind spots.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet HHR in VA is:

$116 per month*