2009 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
Great car, but surprised by rust
By DavB on 07/23/09 08:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

What a great car. Have driving many rental HHR's, so buying one what a no brainer. Love the fuel mileage and the car is really comfortable. I was taking back by rust forming in 3 of the 5 doors. Both front doors and the hatch back door formed rust on the bottom inside edge. The car is only 8 months old and only has 11000 miles on it.

Great Family Car
By Nate on 07/10/09 10:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car as we had a new baby on the way, and it is great. The car can fit a 10ft ladder, a car seat with baby, my wife, and more cargo with room to spare. All of this in a car that isn't any longer than my Dodge Neon. It's a perfect fit for a mid height person like myself, not so good if you are over 6 ft. though. The instant fuel mpg reading is great for changing your driving habits to be fuel efficient. The best part though is that it is a fuel efficient family wagon that looks really, really cool. I could cruise in my HHR for hours and hours.

Super car
By Bill on 07/07/09 14:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Drove to Atlanta and back, was quiet, comfortable, and got almost 32MPG average with 200 miles on the clock! I am so impressed with all the safety features, standard equipment, the style and comfort for a small vehicle. I rate it up with my old M-B 190 and C 220 for comfort and solidity.

Great car!
By Happy Owner on 07/07/09 05:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my LT2 for about five months. I drive it mostly back and forth to work (no freeways) and average 27mpg! I took a couple 300 mile freeway trips and got about 33mpg.

Road trip to California
By John in AZ on 06/15/09 19:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We purchased our 2009 HHR SS in March in anticipation of a vacation trip to California's wine country in June. We just got back to Arizona. What a blast in the HHR! The car easily achieved 400 miles or more per tankful of gas. Cruising out to LA and coming back on I- 10, the car averaged 29.5 MPG doing 80 MPH. Driving up the coast through Big Sur, the car handled great on the curves and up the hills. When we needed to pass slower cars on the single lane roads it was great to downshift into 4th, punch the accelerator, feel the turbo kick in, and pass the slower car like it was standing still. After spending 8 days and 2100 miles in the car, we are ready to go again!

A SURPRISE OF A CAR !!
By DENWIN on 05/24/09 18:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I am an old guy that loves cars. Just gave up a Oldsmobile Aurora for an HHR. Who does this? I needed some gas mileage but we vacation a good bit, being retired. This little bugger is amazing! It corners like it is on rails, is very comfortable to ride in, its cool cause you don't seem like an old guy! The 250 amp Pioneer 7 speaker stereo on XM Rocks! it has every feature my Aurora had except memory seats and ride leveler. I did buy the larger engine 2.4 which comes in the 2LT. I almost wish I would have gotten the Super Sport, but this engine is great.Go buy one--I'm in Florida though---no more Ohio snow!

Glad I switched.
By Dean on 04/25/09 16:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my HHR in Jan 09 and am really happy with the vehicle. I've had a truck for years, but was really unhappy with the mileage that I was getting and with the price of gas I had to make a change. The look of the car and the room that it has attracted me as well. I can get all my stuff in there. I know it's not a truck, so I'll be putting a hitch on for a trailer. The fit and finish are good with mostly hard plastic inside, which is easy to clean up. The electronics are great as well. What else can I say, I love my HHR!!!

Better than PT cruiser
By KEVIN on 04/21/09 18:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned two cruisers but like the HHR even more. Tenn to NY got 35 mph when its still brand new. Love the center compartment! Love the DIC, especially the instant mileage. Didn't think I would ever want XM but it is great (has old time radio and real 50's music). I look for reasons to drive places. No problems with vision. I use the front opening for coffee holder, works great. I'm glad I waited for the 2009.

What a Bargain.
By Bob on 04/07/09 16:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have been considering an HHR for a couple of years because of the bang for the buck, its versatility, and its great fuel mileage. This year, I took the plunge, and sold a Lexus IS 250 AWD for the HHR. It's a great vehicle, and for the money it can't be beat. The ride is smooth, the cabin quiet, and the build quality superb. I took it on a 3 hour trip and found it to be every bit as comfortable as the Lexus. I also have a business, and the HHR's cargo capacity is what I was really searching for. It is a shame more people haven't discovered the great value the HHR is. I still can't believe I got this car on the road, after rebates, for under $15,000.

Say No With Snow...
By New Owner HHR on 04/01/09 06:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We just purchased this HHR my husband wanted to look at one and I thought I would humor him when I got in OK it was fun. So I told him ok. Got it home and the next day it snowed. Well I went to pick my son up at the school and when I stopped at a light everything from the roof slid down onto the windshield total whiteout couldn't see anything(so make sure to brush off roof in the snow) But anyways this thing does not handle well in snow or slush took alot to control it it wanted to slide all over the place I found myself driving extra slow. Pretty sure I ticked people off behind me. I think If you lived in a warmer state with no SNOW this would be a nice ride BUT NO to SNOW...

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet HHR in NJ is:

$198 per month*