Used 2009 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Great census ride
By dowannabe

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

It has been exactly 1 year with my ride, hate the name hhr but love the ride, this baby took me down some dirt and Grass roads to find deer camps and other nonexistent buildings, it handled every situation with control including some deep mud, and deep ruts, my husband has pointed out a few scratches from driving through bushes, car was great, onstar phone was also a blessing to know it was there with cell phone not having coverage. 2 months with 8 hour a day driving I got to know this car, the last week I noticed it a little sluggish at accelerating. may have dust in air cleaner, gotta get it checked out, no other problems, great back area for my big dog and for hauling auction goodies.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable for long drive, ease with you turns and turning around in small spaces, cargo space can haul small dresser some chairs and boxes in one trip

Nice Ride!
By Bob Dibble

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

After my first initial test drive, I was hooked! Great performance from the 2.4 172 horsepower. Drove to Reno and back with 3 adults, 2 golf sets, 7 bowling balls and 2 pieces of luggage. The ride exceeded any other vehicle I owned and the gas mileage very nice. I cruised any where from 70 to 80 miles per hour with great ease and comfort. I know some complain about the breaks, however, most cars I ride in have the "squeaky" noise about them. My brakes work just fine. Oil changes are a snap and no problems so far with anything on the vehicle. I am 5,4" and this car fits me perfect. I would hope team Chevy would add a 6 cyl. In the near future. I rate it a 9 out of 10 for over all!

Favorite Features

Easy to drive, great ride, and just plain fun to have!

Suggested Improvements

I agree on the cup holders and maybe a 200+ 6 cyl. They need a multi-cd changer for us older folks!

Great Value
By derbs24

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Have the 2lt 2.4 auto great car, traded in my 4 door ram hemi and have no regrets. Great mileage, 22avg on e85,30 mpg avg on regular. Have gotten 32 mpg avg at 75 mph with the a/c on. Lots of room for 4 people and luggage, pulls a small trailer for a dirt bike/lawn mower. Fun to drive, oil changes are breeze. Cheaper quality, lots of plastic. I paid $18,000 on a $24,000 sticker though so can't complain. Good looking little gas save with lots of room. Chose this over the Kia soul due to room/mileage.

Favorite Features

Styling, mileage, ease of maintenance, price.

Suggested Improvements

Lots of plastic, but what isn't these days?

Great for the Tall and Small
By Kristie

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Love this vehicle. Cargo capacity is wonderful! Both my boyfriend and I can drive this vehicle (he's 6'3" and I'm 4'10"). Fits 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 kids. We love being able to go places with our friends and our dog without worrying about space. Love the rear cargo design with the adjustable floor. Great on gas! Thinking about getting another when our 2nd car goes.

Favorite Features

Cargo room, flat folding seats, gas mileage, exterior design, interior head room, versatility!

Suggested Improvements

Side pillars of the front windshield are very wide and can block vision for those who sit close to the steering wheel. Just need to be aware and double check those areas before proceeding through an intersection or making a turn from a stopped position.

Rust on all 5 doors
By Attica_Dav

2009 Chevrolet HHR Panel LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

6 months after purchasing my HHR, I found rust on the bottom, inside seam on 3 of 5 doors. 8 months later, the rust returned, worse then what it was before it was repaired, but now on all 5 doors. It was repaired again just 2 months ago and I will be watching. I have looked at two other HHR's they have rust on the doors as well.

Favorite Features

Overall great car

Suggested Improvements

Find a better fix for this rust issue