2009 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
I dearly love my HHR
By LovemyHHR on 01/03/10 15:41 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My husband purchased an HHR last year and when it came time for me to get a new vehicle, he immediately recommended I get one as well. I was unsure, though, and didn't decide on an HHR until I saw my baby on the car lot. Leather in interior, sunroom, all of the options. I Love My HHR It drives like a dream and is great as a family car. Just enough room but with much more coolness factor than a mini van mom-mobile! Also, easy to park and maneuver - A big plus for me!

Pleasantly Surprised
By rileys34 on 01/03/10 06:16 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The move to this vehicle from a mid- sized SUV has been a pleasant surprise. It drives better and costs less, except for the Caliber, than anything else we tested. It also does not look like every other crossovers.

Practical suburban vehicle
By almontgp on 01/02/10 15:18 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This has been one of the best choices made for my transportation needs. Actually, I purchased this with my wife's impending need to upgrade her Prism (8 yrs old). We make daily trips of 40 miles, often hauling miscellaneous things such as feed bags, plantings and assorted small gardening equipment. The route is on both paved and unpaved roads. This car (?) is a perfect fit of utility and grace. The litmus test: my wife now drives this 100%! ;) That outcome means we will purchase another - literally - because as expected, the Prism has seen the end of trails.

The Last Car I Though I Would Ever Buy!
By cyburbs on 12/26/09 23:21 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The Chevy salesman shows me a low low mileage 2009 "program car" with a new car warranty, and the LT with many options. I reluctantly take it for a test spin. Its really not like an SUV, but its fun to drive like an old school VW camper van. Chrome wheels, 2.4L engine, sunroof, remote start, great XM radio, configurable seating, room for my dogs. Its really fun to drive. Bought it a week ago, and really love the ride.

Had Reservations
By MusicTeach on 12/25/09 07:07 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My husband wanted to get an HHR for me because I need lots of trunk storage to haul musical instruments. I was concerned about the gas mileage, and the style of the car. Right now, in the cold, I am getting 25 mph around town, and I am pleased with that. It handles very well in the snow. I am still getting used to the style, but so far, I like it.

Great value, performance and utility
By JB on 12/09/09 09:13 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My HHR SS has exceeded expectations. The car has excellent power and handling, with plenty of usable cargo space and very good mileage. It also has good visibility and a comfortable ride. A unique and well done vehicle by GM.

HHR SS->is a "BLAST"
By bcom76 on 11/03/09 17:55 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I ended up with this car completely by accident.I was not looking for a new car but happened to be given an HHR as a rental car.My first thoughts were- what else is available.However,it did not take me long to really appreciate this car/suv.I like it so much that when I returned home I researched the HHR and bought an SS.I traded a an suv that I really liked-a 2007 Tahoe LTZ and I have not been disappointed.This HHR SS is comfortable,stylish,economical and,when needed,very fast. An excellent purchase and I have no regrets.A fun car overall!!

LOVE it!
By lins on 10/11/09 17:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this when we had problems with our 99 Olds van and we have no regrets. Have only owned it for a few weeks so far but I love driving it and love the looks. My husband is 6 ft and he has no problems with space. I can not believe how much stuff I can haul in he cargo area! This car is so fun to drive and beats out the van on cargo space and gas mileage. We did have to get a new battery installed within a few days of buying it but we did buy it used so I can't complain to loudly on that. It was still under warranty so we didn't have to pay. I just LOVE this car and hope it handles well this winter here in the Northeast.

One Cool Car
By Richard in Murrieta on 10/02/09 13:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car VERY inexpensively under the C4C program only 2 criteria: get the least expensive car I could find in one weekend, and get a car with adequate head room (I'm 6'3"). I am pleasantly surprised with this stylish car I bought the aqua-blue one). It reminds me of those big-eyed Chevron cars in the ads--very cute. My wife calls it a "Minnie Mouse" car. It's a bit slow, but does well for a 2.2L 4-banger with good EPA mileage.

Very pleased
By sbecks on 09/26/09 11:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Five minutes into a test drive, I was hooked. Took a sharp dog leg corner at a considerable speed, and the HHR held to the road like a magnet. A little slow off the line, but will see if a chip helps. Day of purchase took a 200mi trip. Very pleasant to drive, and very peppy and nimble in traffic. City and hiway. Great fuel economy. Cruise set at 78 most of trip. Avg mpg was 26-27. That was with a little lead foot sport driving in city. Some road noise thru suspension but not unreasonable for size of vehicle. Slight wind noise but, again not unreasonable. I am very impressed with the sure footed feeling on wet roads.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet HHR in VA is:

$116 per month*