2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
Bad Brakes
By Bobnur on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Great car, fun to drive, bad rotors, it is like the last four cobolts I have owned, brakes vibrate due to rotors, they said don't use them going down hill ?

Zippy
By 4Ransom on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my HHR LT in August of 2010. When I saw it on the lot I didn't give it a 2nd look, but after test driving it, it was a fun car to drive. I've had it about a month and have found it to be a roomy, zippy, fun car to drive. I never would've seen myself in an HHR, but I really like it.

Nice Car, really!! 2.4 auto flexfuel
By Dean on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a rental car with 8200 miles. Fuel mileage is not terrific (18-21 on E85)(45 with my vw bug diesel), but well built, and handles well with proper tire inflation. Light switch has odd quirk (goes off when bright to dim and dim to bright for split second). Torque steer when accelerating is startling (hang on). I like the storage in the middle of the dash, but not a whole lot of storage around the driver is available. The small windshield takes a little getting used to. I wish the adjustment on the steering wheel was greater.This car would be great with a dash like a Peterbilt (straight dash with lots of gauges). Long trips are very nice, however more cupholders would be nice.

Love it!
By Marilyn on 08/30/10 13:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new HHR! I've had it a month, put 1000 highway miles on it and I couldn't ask for better performance. It's zippy, economical, comfortable and roomy! Thanks, Chevy for a great little car!

Great census ride
By dowannabe on 08/02/10 11:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

It has been exactly 1 year with my ride, hate the name hhr but love the ride, this baby took me down some dirt and Grass roads to find deer camps and other nonexistent buildings, it handled every situation with control including some deep mud, and deep ruts, my husband has pointed out a few scratches from driving through bushes, car was great, onstar phone was also a blessing to know it was there with cell phone not having coverage. 2 months with 8 hour a day driving I got to know this car, the last week I noticed it a little sluggish at accelerating. may have dust in air cleaner, gotta get it checked out, no other problems, great back area for my big dog and for hauling auction goodies.

Nice Ride!
By Bob Dibble on 08/01/10 01:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

After my first initial test drive, I was hooked! Great performance from the 2.4 172 horsepower. Drove to Reno and back with 3 adults, 2 golf sets, 7 bowling balls and 2 pieces of luggage. The ride exceeded any other vehicle I owned and the gas mileage very nice. I cruised any where from 70 to 80 miles per hour with great ease and comfort. I know some complain about the breaks, however, most cars I ride in have the "squeaky" noise about them. My brakes work just fine. Oil changes are a snap and no problems so far with anything on the vehicle. I am 5,4" and this car fits me perfect. I would hope team Chevy would add a 6 cyl. In the near future. I rate it a 9 out of 10 for over all!

Great Value
By derbs24 on 07/20/10 05:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Have the 2lt 2.4 auto great car, traded in my 4 door ram hemi and have no regrets. Great mileage, 22avg on e85,30 mpg avg on regular. Have gotten 32 mpg avg at 75 mph with the a/c on. Lots of room for 4 people and luggage, pulls a small trailer for a dirt bike/lawn mower. Fun to drive, oil changes are breeze. Cheaper quality, lots of plastic. I paid $18,000 on a $24,000 sticker though so can't complain. Good looking little gas save with lots of room. Chose this over the Kia soul due to room/mileage.

Great for the Tall and Small
By Kristie on 06/18/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Love this vehicle. Cargo capacity is wonderful! Both my boyfriend and I can drive this vehicle (he's 6'3" and I'm 4'10"). Fits 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 kids. We love being able to go places with our friends and our dog without worrying about space. Love the rear cargo design with the adjustable floor. Great on gas! Thinking about getting another when our 2nd car goes.

Rust on all 5 doors
By Attica_Dav on 06/16/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Panel LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

6 months after purchasing my HHR, I found rust on the bottom, inside seam on 3 of 5 doors. 8 months later, the rust returned, worse then what it was before it was repaired, but now on all 5 doors. It was repaired again just 2 months ago and I will be watching. I have looked at two other HHR's they have rust on the doors as well.

The Hippo
By Army Strong on 06/11/10 12:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Yes, it is excellent on gas, and I drove 3,000 miles in 4 days and it went the distance, but I think it was definitely pushing it. It's not an SUV, I think my passenger hubcap is about to fall off. The stock tires are bad even new. They're dangerous to drive on windy days. The bulky frame of the car with such small Windows leaves enormous blind spots especially on left turns. There was no carpet in the back storage area for mine, so with even the slowest turns, everything sled around. The brakes are absolutely horrible! There's a huge delay and they squeak like crazy. And the intake is a little noisy.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon in VA is:

$116 per month*